Friday, February 10, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday 2-10-12

In the home stretch on the Big Zig Bag that I started eons ago.  It's huge! The bottom is 19" by 13"

Once the knitting is done I'll be felting it.

This project was great practice for two stranded knitting since there was so much of it.

Here is a shot that shows the floats on the inside...
I'm enjoying the double i-cord handle that I'm currently knitting...wasn't sure how that was going to work out as the beginning was a bit wonky but it's taking a good shape now and when felted should be good and sturdy.
I convinced LittleDog to model for size comparison. Can you believe there is green grass in our backyard in February? It was still super cold today despite the sunshine.
He would easily fit in the pre-felted bag. It'll probably take a few days to do the handles as the directions say "repeat double i-cord for 277 rows" and that's a lot of rows! and I have to make two handles and a closure strap for the top. Good thing I like this part. Also, the double i-cord can be worked on straight needles...no cable to fiddle with.

And one more shot, with a flash so you can see the color better...and Tamara can get another look at LittleDog...
I started this project in May 2009...I'm on a roll with the WIPs these days...only have one more big and old project left to finish after this one.

Don't forget Andrea has a great list on her blog of other folks that participate in Fiber Arts Friday. Be sure to pop over there and check them out. Thank you for coming. Have a fibery weekend!

19 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I am loving the pre-felted bag. It will be interesting to see how it changes once felted.

Stitched Together said...

It looks gorgeous. Felted bags are so useful, so it will be worth the slog to get it finally done.

alliebugs425 said...

I love it Ally! I love color work; I've done some in the past--very satisfying when it's close to completion!

Kristen said...

I can't wait to see what it looks like felted!

Kathryn Ray said...

It's so satisfying to finish those big-long-projects. I'm anxious to see it felted too. :-)

Natalie said...

I must agree with all the comments before mine, I can't wait to see it finished.

x

Loco Lindy said...

Very cool, can't wait to see it felted (you know I so love felt :)

Voie de Vie said...

I love that photo of Little Dog in front of the bag - I think he needs his own knit monster (his teeth showing should be the inspiration). :)

Oh, and of course - great color work!

Mary said...

love the pictures of your dog, looking forward to seeing the finished bag, thanks for sharing...

Vivian said...

LittleDog may want it to turn into a LittleDog nest, so he can snooze in it all day. Will be very interesting to see how the colors change after felting. Have a good weekend!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks great. I had exactly the same thought that little dog would fit in the bag, then read on and saw you mentioned it :)

Nichole said...

Purty!!! (the bag too, lol)

Happy FaF!

Spinster Beth said...

I can't do six inches of i-cord without wanting to stab myself with a dpn ... I admire your patience!

(I also can't get my wee doggie to sit still for size comparison shots)

Jess Schleicher said...

Wow! You must feel so good to be almost done with such a project. Curious to see how it felts up. I've never felted before... something about it always steers me away. Cute doggy too.

storiedyarns said...

That's an awesome bag, I can't wait to see it all felted up!

Tamara Miller said...

I love his little chops! I think you need to start knitting him some winter wear.
It is amazing how different a bag can look after felting. BTW your bag is really pretty. But once again LD steals the show!

Heather Woollove said...

Ally--You know that I am especially looking forward to seeing how this comes out in the end!!! Giggle.
It looks great so far. What are the cords for? Keys inside the bag, or a closure?
XXO--

Kristyn said...

I need to take a page out of your book and finish some of my languising projects.

Yarn Changer said...

Great colors. That is going to be fabulous when you felt it. Can't wait to see it then.