Saturday, July 5, 2008

Road Trip!

What a great day. Rena, Christine and I headed over to Lansing for our own little yarn crawl and it was really fun.

After a yummy lunch at P.F. Chang's our first yarn-stop Woven Arts where we found all sorts of fabulous yarns that we haven't seen anywhere else.

I picked up a nice skein of Zohar Fingering weight...see...

isn't it pretty? It was hand painted by Nancy. We were a bit disappointed that she wasn't in the shop today so we could say hello. We were treated very nicely by her very friendly and able substitute who I'm sorry to say, we can't remember her name.

The vote was that we would definitely be going back there again. The vibe in the shop was very good and the small seating arrangement where you could look at pattern books or knit or chat was very cozy. And it only cost us a $1.10 to park in a nearby city parking lot.

Second stop on the itinerary was Rae's Yarn Boutique. The shop is a bit larger than Woven Arts and stocked a different selection of yarn. I picked up a few skeins of Araucania Nature Wool to make a weekender bag with a pattern designed by LynnH of ColorJoy fame.

I decided to give it a go in just two colors, wish me luck. The pattern looks a bit daunting. This shop was easy to get to with lots of parking that was free today (free parking is a definite plus).

We then took the scenic route through downtown Lansing, past the Capital and Hall of Justice on our way to Waverly road and the famed Threadbear. If you don't know where this shop is you'll surely miss it on the first pass as there is no sign at the street and only a paper sign in the window. Fortunately this was my second trip so I knew what I was looking for. As promised, they have an abundant supply of any kind of yarn you're searching for and a plethora of patterns. They were also well stocked with needles and notions. I picked up a couple of skeins of sock yarn - yes, I know I said I wasn't buying anymore sock yarn but I just couldn't help myself!

Check out this pretty Louet Sales Gems Quartz
it's a purply-lavendery mix and...

I couldn't leave the store without one of these
J Knits hand dyed skeins. I was also reminded by Rena that I wasn't going to buy anymore orange yarn for awhile but I pointed out that it was melon, not orange, so there! And of course the monitor never does the yarn justice.

The ice cream from the Twister next door was huge and very tasty.

The last stop on our tour of Lansing was a place suggested by the very nice Nancy-substitute at Woven Arts, The Little Red Schoolhouse. An interesting craft/antique mall that just happened to have a large space full of yarn/patterns and notions. What a nice little bonus at the end of the day.

It was a successful road trip as, in the words of my Grama...we got back home the same day we left.

Hope you all had as good a day as we've had. Wishing you all a restful Sunday since the next day we have to start another work week. Toodles!

4 comments:

Nichole said...

what a fun, fun day!!! If I had known you were going to Rae's I would've had you ask her WTH happened to the gnome swap she was hosting..... (I'll edit myself here, lol). ;-)
Love the J Knits colorway... I've gotten some of her yarn from Loopy Ewe!

Rena said...

It was a very fun trip. Thanks for being the driver! A good yarn crawl! We should do it again sometime.

Christine said...

It was a lot of fun! Thanks for driving. You got some nice yarn and I'm looking forward to seeing your bag.

wildflower38 said...

what fun ya'll had!!! When I was growing up, my mom would pack us kids in the car and take us on road trips like that..... we'd be home by the time my dad came home from work.

I lust after Jknits.