Friday, May 20, 2011

I've made some yarn

from beautiful Alpaca fiber that I got from Andrea.  The batts first looked like this...

it'd be the one at the back .  Then I spun it into this...
the two blue ones, of course.  I combined the remainder of the blue with some of the dark brown Corriedale that I spun from the Chickasaw Farm fleece that I purchased a few weeks ago.
and got two very nice skeins of yarn.  Approx 123 yds of the blue and 145 yds of the two/color yarn.

Representative of about 2.5 hrs of plying while listening to  A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce.

I was in a bit of a quandary about what to do with such small skeins but then Sarah suggested that I use them in alternating stripes for something.  A perfect idea!  I only wish I had plied all of the blue with the dark brown Corriedale and made more of the two color yarn.  I like it the best of the two.  I'd say the blue is about a worsted weight and the two color is fingering weight.


I wound the Grama's Irises yarn into a cake today in anticipation of making a shrug with it.  Don't you think the color is so pretty now that it's wound?

Thanks for all your nice words on Sam's behalf.  He seems to be feeling much better after several days on antibiotics.  He isn't even limping anymore...who woulda thought?  Your kind thoughts certainly contributed to his speedy recovery.

Don't forget to check out all the other craft-fabulous folks over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.  You won't be disappointed.

11 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

Cute yarn cake.

Your spun yarns came out beautifully. I'm sure there's a project that will call out to you to use them in.

Kathryn Ray said...

Your yarns really are beautiful.

I'm glad Sam is doing better. :-)

Melissa Plank said...

Pretty spinning projects, good idea listening to an audio book while plying.

Channon said...

Beautiful! You've become an accomplished spinner in a hurry.

Nichole said...

Beauteous!

Melissa said...

Your yarns turned out beautiful. Maybe you should try a cowl with the smaller yardage.

KellyJ Knits, The Key to Warmth, only takes 100 yd of contracting color and 200 in a main color.

I've used several different smaller handspuns for this project.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!!!

WonderWhyGal said...

ooooh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing yarn made out of my roving. It's beautiful! There are tons of small yardage projects on Ravelry. I've knitted quite a few and most are perfect for handspun Alpaca. I agree with Melissa, you should knit one of KellyJ's Keyed up Patterns. Perfect for a blend of handspun and millspun yarn.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Spinster Beth said...

I think I had those same exact batts from Andrea ... plum and lavender. I made a lovely shawl with them. Your spinning looks beautiful, can't wait to see it worked up!

Heather Woollove said...

Ally--What a lot of nice work you've done this week! I look forward to seeing what you knit from your new yarn!

pinkundine said...

Those yarns look amazing, I love the 2 colour one. Alpaca is my favourite go to for cowls and things, maybe that would work for the byardage?

Bubblesknits said...

Gorgeous handspun! And I'm so very happy to hear that Sam is doing better. : )