Friday, December 23, 2011

2 Days before Christmas...



and Ishbel is blocked and drying. It's an amazing feat that I actually started a project for a specific gifty day and got it done without having to press all the way to a ridiculously last minute finish. It feels good.  I'm hoping my Mom likes this. I've been writing a card to go with it in my head the past few days. Hopefully she won't cry, although it's almost guaranteed...Mom's are like that you know.

I am so over knitting lace after this project though. Not sure what my problem was but I unknit as much as I knit once I got into the lace. I finally just gave up and bound off. I think it looks ok though, if you don't look too closely.  I love the yarn and the color of the yarn. It was dyed by my friend Rita at Yarn Hollow. My brain has been so tired from work that I had difficulty paying attention to my yarn-overs.

So I'm free from her and have cast on a new red Brambles hat. Red always makes me happy.
and something else that makes me happy is this little cutie...
Thanks so much to my bestie Paula. I love this little machine. I put a new plug on her and with some help from my buddy Rich at work got the 3 prong plug re-wired too.  The new bobbins came in the mail today from Cindy Peters at StitchesInTime. I can't wait to get this baby humming tomorrow. I already have a new quilt design swirling around in my head that might involve some sugar skulls.

I managed to get all my gift shopping done on the web this year. All but one gift arrived on time and the one that didn't...no biggie. I'm going to plan B.

All of us here at Chez B would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. May all your dreams come true. Have a safe weekend and remember to do something fibery!
As always you can find a treasury of other fiber artists participating in Fiber Arts Friday over on Andrea's blog. Go check em out!
This last one is for you Tamara Miller! Happy Holidays!
Merry Christmas!!!

11 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

OMG, first off... how in the world did you get three dogs to sit still long enough for a photo?

I don't have a lot of experience with lace, but I think it requires a fresh and clear mind. I think your shawl is beautiful!

I love your new little sewing machine.

Heather Woollove said...

Ally--I've always wondered how you knitters block shawls, etc...and thanks to your picture, now I know!!! (It's beautiful, BTW!!)
Did you know that you can use those interlocking blocks for needle felting, too?
Have a very Merry Christmas!!

AllyB said...

Hey Kathryn, the secret to dog photos is treats. Usually treats that they cannot have. Keeps their attention for endless amounts of time as their thinking "this could be the time I actually get to have that" LOL LittleDog's favorite picture treat is turkey or sometimes cheese.

Heather, it's always fun when something I post helps someone. Thanks for the needle felting/blocking board tip. I was wondering what I was going to use for a base when I break-in these new felting needles.

Chrisknits said...

Love the Ishbel! Don't give up on lace, embrace it. Love your goggies!!

Voie de Vie said...

Love the dog photo ... and perhaps human treats work with human photos, too? :)

I think your Ishbel turned out well, but most knit lace definitely takes sustained concentration ... at least for me. :)

Have a great holiday - and enjoy that beautifully lit tree. Much cheers to you and yours ... and a scrunch for Little Dog.

Vivian said...

Love your shawl! and I'm sure your mom will love it too and cry and all that :-) That red yarn is such pretty happy color, perfect for winter knitting.

Puppy kisses from Rascal to LittleDog and Merry Christmas to all!

Bubblesknits said...

Your Ishbel turned out beautifully. :) I'm sure your Mom is going to love it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, too, and a very Happy New Year!

WonderWhyGal said...

Merry Christmas!
I LOVE how the shawl looks. That is such a pretty pattern and one day when I learn patience, I shall knit lace. I adore the red yarn. I was just thinking today that I never knit red or wear any knitted red goods. I think I shall have to change that. Your new machine is adorable. Are sewing machines supposed to be adorable? Thank you for being a part of Fiber Arts Friday and for being an amazing friend. I am loving the yarn you sent me and before then night is done, I will have a sassy hat using your yarn. I didn't even realize at first that it was 3-ply. Great job!

Kristyn said...

The Ishbel is beautiful. Im sure your mom will love it. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Spinster Beth said...

Beautiful shawl. Do you also have a blue and green block in you blocking set? If so, that's the set I have!

Andria said...

I think your shawl looks wondrful, your Mom is sure to cry over it. My Mom is crier for sure. I love the dog picture, it's too cute. Happy Holidays, and happy sewing!