Friday, November 9, 2012

We've been skunked!

Ugh. What a nightmare. Last Saturday night LittleDog and Sam went out to potty after dark and got hit by a skunk. It was seriously scary for LittleDog as he has a few (common to Pug) breathing issues. He got a direct hit to the face. When he came in the house he was in full foam and gasping for air. What has followed has been an endless amount of laundry, baths, more laundry, furnace filter changes and more laundry.

If you have dogs and there are any skunks residing in your area please get a supply of Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover and some Fresh Wave. Between these two things I am able to breath for the most part.  The faint scent will linger for weeks, I'm sure, but it's not as bad as it was. They got hit late on Saturday evening and I had no idea what I would need to clean them up. The remedy that the emergency vet's receptionist imparted was a bit helpful but only served to get me smelling skunky too.

Do not wash your dog without rubber gloves, do not let your dog stay in the house the night after he's been skunked and do not let your dog get skunked during a time of the year when the heat is on...

You're very welcome from the terrible twosome.

Have a great weekend! We're looking forward to warmer temps so we can open up this stinky house. Don't forget to check out the Fiber Arts Friday posts over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.

15 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your skunk troubles, that must be awful! Hope the smells will go quickly!

Via Verde Farm said...

How scary to see little dog foaming at the mouth! And what an awful mess to deal with. Thankfully they are both adorable so it helps to make it a bit easier! I am sorry Ally.

Chrisknits said...

Poor things! Glad you all have survived. Maybe they are a little wiser now? LOL. I would definitely have hidden my yarn before dealing with the dogs. Hope mine never find a skunk.

Kathryn Ray said...

I'm glad it all turned out ok.

We have skunks, but the dogs haven't tangled with them.... yet. So far our stinkiest experience was when The Alpaca Dog found a rotten egg and rolled in it. He was so proud and I was so mad. lol.

We found some surgical soap at the vet supply that worked the best.

Nichole said...

I'm afraid the part about not letting your dog stay in the house is just not possible at our house...

Spinster Beth said...

Okay, for the sake of taking your mind off of your troubles with skunky dogs, even if just for a minute,, I will tell you an embarrassing story about myself. One night, many years ago, I had been with my friends at the club drinking and having fun. I drank a little too much and decided to go for a walk to clear my head. It was midnight. In the West Virginia mountains. It was a nice moonlit night, and I was walking near the woods and thought I saw three kitty cats! I squealed in delight and called them over. The biggest one came right to me, and the other two skittered away. It was about three feet away and I was bending over to pet it ... when I finally noticed the stripe, and ran like hell! Didn't get me, but it was quite a lesson. About what, I'm not sure.

Carol said...

Ah yes! We have been through this several times. It just takes some time for the smell to go away, but we have learned to be careful where we take our dogs out when skunks are hanging out at our home, usually in the winter. We found tomato juice really did help.

Vivian said...

I have been following your skunk saga on Facebook, what an ordeal for everyone! Hope you'll be able to relax this weekend and catch up on some fibery things.

WonderWhyGal said...

I hope the house an your handknits didn't get infected with the smell. Eek!

Voie de Vie said...

Oooooohhh that smell/can't you smell that smell - so the song goes. :) So sorry about this - for the dogs and for you. Here's to a little fresh air in your house this weekend.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Oh no! Poor dogs, little dog especially, hope the smell is not too bad by now

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Poor pups! (and you)
I'm very thankful we have never been skunked. Our Lucy loves to roll in the stinky stuff, and is particularly fond of a particular patch of our neighbor's yard, but nothing like a skunk!

katie metzroth said...

been there! sorry that you had to go through that. My dog smelled every time we got her wet after that for probably six months. I describe the smell of fresh skunk as the only smell you can hear.

katie metzroth said...

the only scent you can hear.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Oh, that has been terrible for all of you! So scary for your puppies and lots of work for you! I do hope they smell now only shampoo and get hugs again! x Teje