Friday, December 14, 2012

Only a few more sleeps...

until the holiday festivities are in full swing.  (all pics can be biggie-sized by clicking on them)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday! Be sure to visit Wisdom Begins in Wonder to see what other creative folks are up to this week.

I've been a busy bee; Knitting...
I really enjoyed knitting this hat. You do a provisional crochet cast-on, then knit 25 rows of stockinette in the background color.  Purl 1 row for the fold then knit 25 rows of the two-color chart. Pick up the stitches of the provisional cast-on and a 3 needle operation that knits the liner to the outer part then continue with the rest of the hat. The double thickness keeps ears nice and toasty. I've used this technique to make a picot edge on several pair of socks and it works great. Gotta tell you, it's a lot easier knitting this way on size 8 than it is on size 1 needles.


I took a few pics while I was doing it...

You put your right needle through both front and back needles in left hand then pull the loop through both stitches so they're connected, like a 3 needle bind-off without the binding off part. It's like magic!                                                          
This also covers the larger floats in the skull area of the colorwork. Hopefully, you'll find a use for this technique some day, if you haven't already. LittleDog wasn't very happy because he couldn't sit on me while I was doing it. He did get a few opportunities this week to get a good rub from The Saint though...
Sewing...and you know he had to do his Captain Morgan pose in his new jammies...

and shopping the internets.




Most gifty things are taken care of. There is a pair of sock-type-things being knit...
and I need to come up with a son-in-law gift...I haven't had a genius idea about that yet. It's going to be hard to beat the Swamp People t-shirt I got him last year.

Thank you for stopping in. Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Cathy said...

I love your hat! And by golly you have been busy :) ... love your keeping the little doggy at bay with your feet, so cute!

Kim said...

Cute hat and LOVE the Saint's T-shirt. Poor Little Dog..just wants to snuggle..it's cold outside! HOpe you have a great Christmas! Kim

Kathryn Ray said...

I like the colors together in the hat.

Merry (almost) Christmas!

Ginx Craft said...

Love your skull hat. My son would really like a hat like that.

Nichole said...

What a cool hat! :)
Looks like you've been having fun... hey there Mr. Saint and Little Dog!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Super hat, it sounds like a great technique. You have been very busy, I still have loads to do, hoping for a productive weekend!

Vivian said...

The double-layered knitting is so neat, perfect for color work.

LittleDog is a little bit, ahem, spoiled? but oh what's wrong with that!

Chrisknits said...

Ally, the yarn in the scarf is Nimbus from Zitron. I don't think it has any affiliation. It is incredibly soft!!! Just happy that I got it all half price, it's not very cheap!

I keep seeing people make pajama pants. I need to learn how to. I never find them long enough!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Very nice! Warm hats are a must!

WonderWhyGal said...

That is an interesting technique and I actually understood it ;-) Love the skull pattern.

Geez, I can't believe Christmas is almost here. Where has the time gone?

stitchin' girl said...

You have been very busy! Love that hat!!

Spinster Beth said...

Oh, poor doggie ... my kitty never understands that he can't lay on my yarn when I'm doing colorwork!