Friday, January 4, 2013

Life's a little different today

Hello! Welcome to my Fiber Arts Friday post. If you enjoy seeing what fibery peeps are up to you can also check out the blog circus at Wisdom Begins In Wonder after you've finished here. Thank you for coming. I hope you find something interesting/educational/fun.

After the worst day ever this week I'm ready for something fun. What's more fun than going crazy with some crochet and some crappy old yarn you've had in your stash for 5 or 6 years?
Above is the best representation of the actual color. This is the Spike Stitch Cowl. The yarn is Tahki "Twiggy Tweed". It's a blue/grey single with purple neps in it...and a lot of VM! I don't know what they were thinking when they sold this yarn but I cannot believe it was marketed commercially as it is. I've been picking pieces of dried grass and sticks out of it every few feet. This must be why it was so cheap on eBay, LOL
The label says "Made in France" and "we recommend dry cleaning", HA! Dry clean wool...a travesty if you ask me. This baby will be soaking in some Eucalan as soon as it's finished. Hopefully that will soften it up a bit. After so many years being stored away I'm sure it could use a little rejuvenation.

I tried to get a close shot of the stitches but it's difficult to see. It's single crochet and triple crochet alternating. I'm carrying the yarn double since it's quite fine. Super easy and fast but a bit hard on my hands.
If I hadn't run out of wound yarn I would probably be finished. I'll need to wind up the other two skeins so I can finish it this weekend.

After that I'm on to the Calm Cowl Crochet-along. Haven't done a crochet along before so I'm hoping it'll be fun. It's a nice looking pattern and I'm excited to get started on it. You're welcome to join in if you'd like.

Have a great weekend. Thank you for the kind words on my Wednesday post.
We'll be here, adjusting to a different life without Max.

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh we all have yarns that's been stashed for years, I admire your actually getting it out and using it. Looks like it's going to be a cosy cowl when finished. I was tempted at the CAL but alas I must concentrate on what's on hand already.

WonderWhyGal said...

Great way to use up that yarn.

I have some yarn from two sheep fleeces I purchased a few years ago. I told the mill to stop if the VM was too much (skirting the sheep with lanolin is so different from my alpaca) and the mill took it all the way to yarn.

It's horrible with VM. It looks like heathered yarn. I paid a few hundred $$$ for it. I won't ever use that mill again. The yarn just sits. I am thinking about making a couple of door rugs with it. I just can't bear to throw it out. Grrrr

I'd never sell it though.

Kathryn Ray said...

Well, they did call the tweed, "twiggy." ;-)

I'm sure it will be nicer after a soak.

Hugs to everyone.

Andria said...

The cowl looks nice, the yarn sounds interesting. I'm really sorry to hear you lost your lovely dog. Hugs!

Nichole said...

Still sending lots of hugs your way... :(

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Maybe the extra bits are what make it a Twiggy Tweed instead of just Tweed? :)
Fiber therapy is always good to get through the tough times.

katie metzroth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, many digital hugs

Spinster Beth said...

I use my crappy acrylic to crochet pet beds. Shelters appreciate them, but so do my stray cats.

Vivian said...

I know there is no consolation for losing your beloved Max, but I'm glad you are finding comfort in fiber arts, even with all that VM! Puppy kisses from Rascal and Emma :-)

Voie de Vie said...

I am really sorry to hear about Max, so I'm going to chalk it up to grief that led you to write crochet and "crappy yarn" all in the same sentence and call it fun. :) lol woman!