Friday, March 7, 2014

Allergies...ugh

This past week I was reminded how important it is that I ask a yarn donor if they have cats in their home.

I'm ridiculously allergic to cat dander. Doesn't matter how well sealed the yarn has been. If said yarn has been in the same house as cats I cannot touch it...even for 10 seconds. You see, cat dander travels in the air like microscopic dust particles. A forced-air heating system can propel the dander to every corner, crack and crevice of a home.

A friend had kindly given me several balls of nice wool yarn. I moved the yarn, extremely carefully, from the bag it was in to the shipping box. There was no waving it in the air, squishing it or rubbing it. Despite my caution within 5 minutes I was digging through my bag to find my inhaler.

I tell you this in the hope that if you have pets in your home and you are generous and donate yarn to anyone...please give it with a warning. And pretty-please don't be offended if we decline your offer. It could be a matter of life and death to the person with the allergy.

And if, like me, you're allergic to things that could get into yarn or fiber be sure to ask if it's been in contact, no matter the amount of time, with your allergen.

I know you want to see some knitting...

another Bear Cowl
and a finished sock
and LittleDog in his new blankie
Thank you for reading my PSA. Have a great weekend. Be sure to check out the gathering of creativity at Wisdom Begins In Wonder and Natural Suburbia.

8 comments:

AllyB said...

Link for Andrea's round-up blog...
http://wonderwhyalpacafarm.blogspot.com/2014/03/fiber-arts-friday-week-10-2014.html

Chrisknits said...

I am not so allergic to cats, but understand your issue. I am also less allergic to dogs. What I can't understand are house cats and dogs in yarn shops!! I know you love your pets, but really?132 44222484

Ginx Craft said...

Gosh I had never thought of that. I have 4 cats in my house at the moment, so my wool is probably full of the stuff.

steph said...

Hubby doesn't do well with cats either, but not to the extent of your allergies. What a bummer. Love those socks on the needles!! (Thanks for stopping by my blog space!!! Nice to meet you.)

Carol said...

Those socks look very interesting - I'm a sucker for stripes!

Corrie B said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles! I hope the dander is flushed out soon.

Vivian said...

My sympathies! I once handled a bag of donated yarn with moth eggs, so fortunate to get rid of it before it came into the house. Now I'm extra cautious with donations.

WonderWhyGal said...

I am in love with your bear cowls! They are so adorable! I've also enjoyed your socks on FB.

A good reminder about yarn and allergies! Smoke is another biggy! I had some given to me that I just couldn't get that stink out of.