Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wind Me Up and Turn Me Loose

I've been working so hard on socks the past couple of months that I'm beginning to get the urge to do something bigger. And anyone who knows me, knows I like bigger, LOL, ahem, I am claustrophobic!

Boxes are not a good way to transport a winder and swift from one place to another as I've been doing for a while now. I'm thinking LynnH's big bag would be the perfect carrier for these larger yarn tools, and it would be better looking too.

Friday evening Rena came over and we got busy winding yarn. I barely made a dent in my stash but it's a start, isn't it a nice pile? (click for bigger pic) This is 15 cakes of yarn, Rena took home at least 6 more, phew, that's a lot of winding, my arm may fall off.

I've got a list as long as my aching arm of things I want to accomplish when I finish these socks...

Irish Hiking Scarf (for the Scarf Stroke/Cable Steeplechase events in Ravelympics) with the red ShiBuiKnits


from Thistledown Shoppe...



socks with this fabo J. Knits
I got at Threadbear...

ZigBagZ with the brown & gold Araucania



from Rae's Yarn Boutique...


more socks with this pretty lavendar Gems Quartz also from Threadbear...










and perhaps a nice felted something with this fabulous yarn that Rita of Yarn Hollow fame painted. It's looking like it would cling to itself nicely - if you biggen the pic you can see how very hairy it is.

I'll have to give this yarn








from CreativelyDyed some thought, it's amazingly beautiful and shiny, I'm thinking a lacy scarf of some kind as it is too beautiful to put on my feet!

and just maybe, another pair.of.socks with this Jitterbug I couldn't resist that was in Lorilee's City Knitting booth at the Charlevoix Fiber Fest last weekend...I'm thinking all that water influenced my color preference at that show.



In an effort to distract myself for a bit I went for a little competitive knitting yesterday - a garter stitch (yawn!) bib from Mason Dixon Knitting. Rena's friend is gonna be a mama soon and she needed a shower gift. We kinda had a race to see who could get their bib done first. She beat me, by just a couple minutes, she spent some time figuring out how to do the button hole, lol. And I took a break to work a few rows on my socks so maybe we could have had a tie...and I didn't think to take their picture when we were done, drat! Love you Rena, that was fun! Hey, let's go wind some more yarn, wanna?

Hope everybody has a great week. Thanks to you all for stopping in and saying hello. It's always nice to hear from the faithful few folks who de-lurk with comments.

Don't forget to go sign up for Dish Rag Tag if you haven't already. The deadline is August 8th. Loads of fun will be had by all. And it's not too late to commit to Ravelympics!

I'm rolling up on my blogiversary in a couple months, anyone interested in a contest for some of my pretty yarn? hmmm?

6 comments:

Linda said...

I was winding yesterday and am going to do some more today. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoys it. Something magical about that yarn sliding through your fingers, making it's first transformation. Magic!

I'm sticking to WIPs Wrestling for the Ravelympics. I'll probably be lucky if I get one of the three I've chosen done, but oh well.

Rena said...

Thanks for the help with the bib. It was fun and boring to make. I liked the end results. Yay for winding yarn what a stash of cakes you got there.

Bubblesknits said...

Look at all that yummy yarn! *drool* I've thought about going upstairs and winding all of mine. It would fit better in the bin if it were in little yarn cakes.

wildflower38 said...

Ok you talked me into it. I signed up for the Dish Rag tag:)

Grace Yaskovic said...

My blog aversary is coming too and I am trying to come up with something new and unique to do!!! Love all the pr0n on your blog today!!!

Nichole said...

Pretty yarn cakes! The Irish Hiking Scarf is on my "to do" list... quite possibly both for myself and a xmas gift.