Friday, January 21, 2011

FAF 01 21 11

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

The straw-like fiber called Forest Floor has been spun...
and plied...
 not too bad a result, glad I'm done with it though.  I have visions of a small bag or something...certainly not anything close to the skin - ooo, itchy!

I also plied this...
and this...
ooo, isn't Jellybeans nice?  I love this fiber and the yarn it spun into.

I got lucky. The brake-band on my flyer broke just as I was finishing the last bit of plying Wednesday night.  I've decided that plying two nights in a row is too much plying. About 90 minutes each night.  It was fun and I think I got pretty good results but there was a physical price to be paid.

My favorite thing about working in my crafty room is being able to listen to great books.  While plying I finished listening to Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin.  An excellent story with a good narrator.  Next book in line on my iPhone is Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.  The reviews said it was a story like The Help.  If it is half as good it should be enjoyable.  I'll let you know.

Do you listen to books or music while doing your craft?  What is your favorite book genre?  I'm always looking for book suggestions so please share your favorites.

I'll be spinning at Urban Mill on Sunday with my friends Paula and Erica but Saturday will be monopolized by parties - family and work.  I'll need to go back to work Monday to get some rest, LOL

Thank you for coming by, it's always great to see you here.  Be sure to check out the talented folks over on Andrea's Blog that post for Fiber Arts Friday.  They love company too.

LittleDog turned 5 on Wednesday, what a big boy.  See ya!

14 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

I haven't thought of listening to books while spinning. I'll have to wait until Verizon gets the iPhone before I can have something to use though.

Kathryn Ray said...

I've been mostly listening to sports on TV when I'm spinning or knitting, but that's because our CD player is on the fritz.

I think listening to a book or radio theater (do they still do that?) would be really fun.

Have you washed your straw-fiber? I wonder if that would help it soften up.

Channon said...

Thanks for reminding me that I got the iPod for Christmas for audio books, not just for the cool apps! Jellybeans is such a happy bobbin.

WonderWhyGal said...

Your yarns are looking great and so are the display photos. Isn't that so much fun?

I do listen to audio books when spinning, knitting even sorting fiber. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. I know some people can read and knit...I'm not in that catagory. Audio books were created for a reason.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

CraftyCripple said...

The yarn looks beautiful. I wish I could spin but know I need another hobby like a hole in the head. I went through a stage of listening to audio books while knitting, but now I listen to podcasts (its cheaper!)

Rena said...

Big boy, little dog!!! Can't believe he is 5 and I missed his birthday!! Love your new yarns, so pretty!

Ellen said...

Love Jellybeans! I love watching everyone spin such lovely fiber. It's something I haven't tried yet.

Listening to books is such a great idea. I mostly put on mindless TV or the radio.

Have a great weekend!

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

I haven't listened to anything bookwise lately, but I love watching French movies!!!

Word Lily said...

Such pretty yarns! What fiber types are they?

I've heard very good things about both Crooked Letter and Saving Ceecee; I really enjoyed The Help.

Beth said...

Very pretty! Thank you for linking up to Fibers on Friday!

I'll be staying tuned to know what you think of the book compared to The Help....

Halfpint said...

Beautiful spinning. Have not tried audio books, I tend to listen to the TV, but I think I might have to give some a go

Mollyandollie said...

Just found you through Fiber Arts Friday...What beautiful yarn! I'm a big fan of audio books while crafting. Our local library has tons and it's so fun to just grab them and try them out. I had a nice run with the alphabet mysteries by Sue Grafton. Easy, light, and a little silly, they're not my usual genre, but I did enjoy!

The Critter Ranch Llama Farm said...

Great spining, I usualy watch a move as I Spin & Ply.
Great yarns!

Anastacia said...

Pretty fiber! I love to listen to audiobooks or podcasts while knitting :)