Friday, January 28, 2011

FAF 1/28/11


Yesterday was my little sister's birthday...Happy Birthday Wani!  Hope you like your dishcloth.

It's great to be back visiting with you all again, Fiber Arts Friday seems to roll around pretty regularly doesn't it?  Don't miss out on all the great fibery things going on over on Andrea's blog.  I've been busy knitting, spinning, plying and making skeins of yarn.  Making a skein of your own handspun yarn is an amazing thing.  I was surprised at how exciting it was since I've been looking at the fiber, singles on spools and plied singles on bigger spools for a few weeks now.  Who knew that when I finally got around to winding them on a niddy noddy and twisting them into skeins that I would feel such satisfaction?

the straw almost turned into gold...
 then I mixed it with the red that I spun from the batts I got from Heidi for a holiday yarn...
This week's spinning is lovely coppery "Sunset", an alpaca/merino blend from my friend Tamara over at Via Verde Farm and it is very nice to work with.  The singles are quite fine as I'm attempting to make a light weight yarn with which I can knit a lace shawlette or perhaps one of these.

The Jellybeans yarn will become a Moebius like this one that I found on Ravelry.  Don't you think it will be too much fun?
In other news...our grandson has been moved up from Freshman to JV Basketball, Yay!

Thanks for stopping by and please have a safe and happy weekend full of goodness.

10 comments:

Tamara said...

Wow! What a great job your are doing on spinning wheel. I like the VVF fiber. It is really pretty. :)

Melissa Plank said...

Your bobbins look great with all that deliciously colored fiber spun onto them, and all your plied yarn too! So glad you decided to add spinning to your long list of fiber addictions!

Kathryn Ray said...

I love that the straw has turned to gold. It looks beautiful plied with the red.

Dutch Hollow said...

I love the stories your photos tell. I should work on my photography more.

Allison said...

The red yarn is beautiful!

Heather Woollove said...

Yes, yes, yes...Jellybean Moebius!!
...and your red yarn is smashing, too!!

Caryn said...

I look back on my own beginner spinning efforts and laugh -- not at the quality, but at how I treated the final result. I used to skein up the yarn and then set it on the table, maybe pat it a couple of times, and leave it there to look at. My husband always asked, "aren't you going to knit it?" And I'd say, "how can I when they look so BEAUTIFUL?!"

WonderWhyGal said...

Your spinning is just amazing! I'm so proud of you and so happy that you are enjoying it. Plus I'm happy that you have found Tamara so that you have friends to spin with up your way.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Nichole said...

Yay for the family news... and the beautiful yarns!

AllyB said...

Thank you all! I love spinning! It draws me like nothing I've ever done. I'm excited about doing the Moebius and getting the chance to have that fun yarn run through my hands - a little slower this time. Caryn, everyone at knitting nite last week squeezed and petted the Jellybeans so I totally understand how you felt about your first handspun skein.