Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday 01 14 11

Thank you for joining me on another Fiber Arts Friday!  As the photo above will attest, I've been spinning.  This was spun on Sunday while I was getting to know my new friend Erica.  Not sure how I feel about this fiber.  It's called Forest Floor (alpaca blend) by Fiber Fancy.  Feels quite dry and makes me think I'm trying to spin straw into gold.  The finished product does have some gold-like qualities though.  I do like the halo it's developed.  Now if I can just get it to hang together long enough to knit something with it, ugh.

Wow, this week went by fast.  It's to be expected when you're really super busy, isn't it?  Yep, that's me - super busy.  Lots to do at work, which means I long to come home and jump into my jammies and knit on the sofa...with LittleDog keeping my lap toasty.  I was spinning at Urban Mill on Sunday then Wednesday evening, I slid down the hill to Urban Mill again and had a nice time knitting and chatting with Heather, Susan, Sarah, Michelle and a whole bunch of other peeps.  Urban Mill is a great place for knitting and spinning, imo.  Lots of room and a toasty fireplace make it very nice.  There are yummy snacks and decent coffee.  It's been a long year since my favorite LYS closed and I've been wandering around trying to find a place to fit in.  This is a nice group and it feels good.

I actually made a new dishcloth too.  Haven't made one in quite awhile so the ones I have are getting quite worn and faded.  They're still working fine, just not looking so good.  I love my dishcloths and haven't used a store bought one in at least 4 years.  Do you make your own dishcloths?  How about socks?  How many of you devote the time and energy to rewarding your feet with custom made socks?  You're worth it, you know?

I'm challenging myself with Jared's hat (double hat on size 1 dpn) and have started a pair of socks that are going to take some intense concentration...Salto mmm, cabley!

LittleDog says...it's too cold to play outside!
 He's laying around thinking I wish the weather would warm up so I could go for a long walk thoughts...

What are you thinking about today? 

Be sure to share the joy you experience from fiber and friends.  You can meet some new friends who love the fiber arts over on Andrea's blog every Friday.  Hop on over and check it out.  You won't be disappointed.

16 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I am always sad when I hear that someone got Alpaca that wasn't beyond gorgeous. Not all fiber is meant to be roving or even yarn. I hope you do turn it into gold.

I am fortunate and I get beautiful dishcloths knitted and gifted to me every few years from my aunt. I smile and think about her every time I pick one out of the drawer to do dishes.

Socks? Well, you know I love handknit socks...this year I will attempt to knit my first pair but I am still hoping to have more gifted to me. My goal, never to buy another pair of socks again.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Dutch Hollow said...

Bummer about your alpaca blend. I've got some right now that the mill messed up on me. I think it was the "blend" part that went bad not the alpaca though.

I've made only one dish cloth and the hubby hated my choice of colors and keeps trying to throw it away on me. I'll have to attempt another.

AllyB said...

I don't know what that alpaca was blended with aside from some silk but it is very dry, nothing like the batts I've gotten from you. Andrea, I envy your gifted knits although with 20+ pr of socks I've knit myself I really don't think I need any gifty ones,LOL. Thank you both of stopping by and visiting with me today.

Melissa Plank said...

Have a great week, great post, I enjoy catching up on your adventures.

Sam Attal said...

Little Dog! He is so stinking cute. I want to borrow him. Glad to hear you are a spinning fiend. Enjoy. hope to see you Sunday. Tamara

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

My dogs are dying to go out too - with below zero windchills, I don't think they really would enjoy a long walk, even with their jackets.

Sorry to hear about your fiber :( Maybe a good wash with some Soak will help soften up the final yarn?

Nichole said...

Hello little dog!

Kathryn Ray said...

I have yet to knit a dishcloth or socks. I've been thinking about both.

I noticed this week that my alpaca socks are starting to wear out, so I may have to figure out how to get a pair of those made this year.

Inspiration Fibers said...

Urg--frustrated for you and your spinning. I actually have spun with Fiber Fancy's rovings (and, for full disclosure, she's a friend of mine), but not a blended alpaca batt. Her rovings are wonderful--Let her know! She'll want the feedback--I know I would.
Anyway, your spinning is great!

Kristyn said...

I love my knit dishcloths. I could never go back to store bought now.

Word Lily said...

Ooh, that's a sock pattern I don't think I'd seen before. :)

Hope the yarn turns out better than how it feels at the wheel; I've had a few fibers like that.

jessecreations said...

Knit dishcloths are the best, even my husband agrees and he's generally ambivalent about knitwear. :)

At least Little Dog has a nice afghan to keep him warm and snuggly.

Jess

Channon said...

You ARE busy! I haven't spun much alpaca. I find it very slippery, but definitely not dry. Hmmm...

AllyB said...

So, I spun more of the Forest Floor this morning and have come to the conclusion that I need more practice! If I spin from the fold and can keep a consistent thread-like single going I'm ok but if I let too much fiber draft in at once - I get a weak single that easily pulls apart - can't get enough spin in if it is thicker than, say, button thread. Good lesson for sure.

The afghan that LittleDog is laying on was made by my Grama for my daughter's birth...she's 30 now.

Have a great day!

Donene said...

I am going to go and make me some dishcloths right now! I am trying to teach myself how to knit the continental way after using the throwing method since I learned, it has been a struggle and a dishcloth is exactly what I need to make! thanks for your nice comments!

Bubblesknits said...

Micro agrees with Little Dog. It's too cold out there for walks. Brrrr....

Looks like you're doing great with the spinning! : )