Friday, March 18, 2011

It's like magic...

how you can turn a bag of this...

into a bobbin full of this...
Spin Madness from Yarn HollowA ton 8 oz. of fun for a mere $15 investment.  It's turning out to be good practice for me since I have done so much alpaca that I'm spoiled and thinking I have the spinning world by the tail.  I found out during our little weekend away that I wasn't as good as I thought I was.  When it comes to fibers that aren't all the same I really have to concentrate.  I'll be spinning along and come to a clump of tussah silk or firestar and have to quickly think what to do with it or how tightly to hang onto it or just stop and re-group.  I'm determined not to let it get the best of me.  Especially since I have a second bag to spin through.  This is what I have to look forward to when the first bag is done...

Do you like an adventure?  What's your favorite?  Do you like working on mixed up things like this or do you prefer a nice smooth batt or a braid of roving?  When you purchase fiber do you get 4 oz to play with or 8 oz with a project in mind?

In case you missed my last post here's a little reminder of how amazing the lake was last weekend...
I love the lonely upside down chair in the middle of the beach

LittleDog sends springtime wishes to you all.  It was in the 60s here yesterday and we're keeping our paws fingers crossed that it will stay warm so we can get out for some good long walks again.
Happy Fiber Arts Friday, have a great weekend!

Don't forget to hop over to Andrea's blog and see what other creative fiber folks have been doing this week.

19 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Me loves me some Yarn Hollow to spin! Rita sure knows what she is doing. Your spinning shows you do too. I'm so happy that you love spinning...little dog looks like he does too.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Dutch Hollow said...

Wow that is a ton of fiber.

Sounds like it was a good buy to learn more about spinning techniques.

Love what is on the spool too.

Tamara said...

I love those bags of fiber. I got one too and was going to spin it up as is but ended up pulling out this and that for other projects. It is so fun to discover what is inside the bag. Glad you had a good and productive weekend.

CraftyCripple said...

Wow, amazing colours. I love the picture of your pug. He's so sweet.

By the way I'm having a giveaway on my blog to help raise money for Japan. Check it out to see if you want to help. http://craftycripple.blogspot.com/2011/03/something-different.html

Heather Woollove said...

Ally--Your new 'mystery bags 'o' fiber' look like so much fun to spin! I look forward to seeing the yarn knitted up into something!
I'm so jealous about your lovely accomodations on your spinning vacation, too. Some of our 'felt' camps should be called 'boot', instead!! Har.

Grace said...

Your yarn creations are so inspring

Channon said...

Friday night spinning resumes at my house after an appointment last week. Your fiber arts always inspire me.

Nichole said...

Gorgeous... and look at happy little dog! Happy Friday!

Word Lily said...

Fun spinning! I need to get back to my wheel. It hasn't been that long, but it's calling to me!!

The Critter Ranch Llama Farm said...

Great spining love the colors

Kristyn said...

Love the spinning! I was so happy to leave work last night and not have to wear my coat.

Melissa Plank said...

I love Rita/Yarn Hollows grab bags, they're wonderful for core spinning too and she has such lovely colors. You know how much I love those little pops of color and texture in yarn, great bobbin shot!

Voie de Vie said...

Glad you had fun and great accomodations on your spinning retreat. Nothing like getting together with others who do the same craft to pick up pointers and assess the general lay of the land. :)

Also love, love, love your pug photos. Each and every one of them. Keeper of the stash is a real cutie.

Happy fiber arts Friday!

Knot By Gran'ma said...

I think it's beautiful. I'm torn by yarn styles. I like both smooth and fun skeins, depending on the project.

The picture of your pug makes me want our pug puppy to be here before June... so cute!

Marushka C. said...

I'm such a new spinner that I didn't even realize such sampler kits were available. They look like a fun way to practice with a variety of fibers. Have a great weekend!

Kathryn Ray said...

hahaha Little Dog looks like a grumpy old man sitting in that chair.

The yarn on the bobbin is yummy and your vacations spot looks fantastic too.

Spinster Beth said...

Lovely spindle full! Can't wait to see the next bag!

Ally B, you asked on my blog what kind of spindle I had ... I purchased it from Zebisis Designs on Etsy. Thanks for posting on my blog!

I like to buy fiber loose, but well combed. I have to split it into so many strands, it's easier if I don't have to unbraid it. I like batts too. I try to purchase at least 4 oz at a time, but 8 is better!

Catherine said...

I love what you have achieved with your random fiber. And I am filled with admiration for anyone who spins, 'regula alpacca' does not seem easy to me!

Bubblesknits said...

Beautiful. I love fun batts, but like you, I come to a clump of something different and don't know what I should do. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. : )