Friday, March 4, 2011

Spinning and Sewing

Happy Fiber Arts Friday everybody!  How many spinning wheels do you see?
 We drew a little crowd while spinning on Sunday at Urban Mill.  Several young men asked to feel the fiber and had questions about what animals it came from and what kind of wheels we were using.  They also had questions about weaving on large looms so we referred them to some other folks since we are not weavers.  I love spinning in public places.

How do you like my new Ashford Traveller cover?
I picked up a couple of yards of Rip-Stop at my local fabric shop, did a bunch of measuring and started cutting and sewing.  The cover took me a couple of hours to put together.  I have to cut an opening for my hand to fit through when I carry Viv but otherwise it's complete.  I don't want her to get wet while traveling from the house to the car to wherever we're spinning...back to the car and into the house.  She's been traveling a lot lately.  I can't believe how many days a week I could spin with some fibery peeps somewhere around town.  Last night I figured I'd better do some laundry or something so I could still claim to be on top of things around here.

I finished spinning the Ladies in Waiting from Counting Sheep Farm

and started some black alpaca fiber that my friend Paula gave me.  The alpaca, she spins like air and is so fine and pretty.

On my way home from work last night I picked up the new maidens I had made for the antique wheel I got for $9.  Now the wheel is worth considerably more than when I bought it. LOL  Some tweaking will have to be done but I've got it set up and ready to test drive sometime this weekend.  Ignore the lack of stain and the stick matches...she's a work in progress.

As much as I enjoy the Zen qualities of spinning, there are other activities I find relaxing...

I had an opportunity a few weeks ago to help a co-worker.  She had been wearing her winter coat for who knows how long without any buttons.  I have a reputation around the office for my craftiness so she approached me for the job of replacing them.

"Sure", I said, "I'll bring in my tools tomorrow"...To be honest, I wasn't really all that excited about sewing buttons on a winter coat.  She brought the coat and new buttons and I brought the little sewing kit I had put together that morning.  I watched that coat hanging over my guest chair the entire morning with a little feeling of dread for the task.  During lunch, after enjoying my little sammich I settled in my not-so-comfy office chair, turned to the window with a southern view of the city and started sewing.  Twenty minutes later the buttons were secure and the coat was returned to it's gleeful owner.  Destined for a trip to Vermont.

I could not possibly thank her enough for choosing me to sew those buttons on her coat.

I tell you this story in the hope that you too will have such an opportunity in the near future.  Finding a few minutes of pleasure in a simple task.  There are times when just sewing a button on a coat can give you a new outlook on life.  And bring a smile to someone's face.

What little tasks do you find can change your day into something special?

Have a great weekend!  Be sure to visit the other crafty peeps that hang out with Andrea on Fiber Arts Friday.

15 comments:

Channon said...

Thanks for sharing that story, Ally. I am not good at all at turning chores into gifts... Hmmm...

Melissa Plank said...

The cover for your wheel turned out wonderful, I will have to get busy on one for mine too! I'm glad to see the progress on your refurbished wheel, it looks good!

Allison said...

Your spinning wheel looks beautiful! Your yarn is too.

Word Lily said...

Yay, pretty yarn!

Dutch Hollow Acres said...

I love doing little things for people. Here in Snowy WNY I usually brush the snow off folks cars who are parked next to me.

I hate being out in the cold but can't help feel good knowing someone will get to their car and it's all clean and waiting for them to jump in.

Vivian said...

I love the look of your antique wheel, I love watching other people spinning too, so soothing. My sewing kit has been living on the kitchen counter where Rascal's torn-up stuffed animals gather and wait for their surgeries. That pup keeps my needles flying!

Needle and Wheel Designs said...

Thanks for checking out my post. I really like your new spinning wheel cover. I also have the Ashford Traveler and just love it.

Inspiration Fibers said...

I love the wheel cover, and I really appreciate the button story. My mom recently put buttons back on my coat for me because I've been too busy. I so appreciated her taking over that simple, but annoying task!
You have one lucky co-worker!

Teje said...

Hi Ally! What a great projects you have! Your new cover looks wonderful!
Thank you for your visit and message!
I wish you sunny weekend! Teje

jessecreations said...

Ooh, your spinning looks so great! I'm literally jonesing to spin now that my wheel is out of commission, ack! :)

I think it's sweet you sewed on her buttons! I love making little things for my kiddos, it makes us both happy whenever I get the chance to do it. :)

Jess

Spinster Beth said...

I love that Ladies in Waiting yarn; very springlike, like blooming lavender!

Nerdy Knitter said...

love the ladies in waiting!! looks wonderful!!!!! glad to see you got your antique wheel whipped into shape :)

WonderWhyGal said...

You are so talented! If you ever want to sew buttons again...I have about six jackets that are all missing buttons. Yes, I am that bad at button sewing.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Tamara said...

Like the wheel cover! Great job. And the black alpaca is very pretty. Happy Friday and see you Sunday!

Tamara said...

Like the wheel cover! Great job. And the black alpaca is very pretty. Happy Friday and see you Sunday!