Friday, March 25, 2011

FAF 03 25 11

And what are you doing this Fiber Arts Friday?  I know I can go cruise through everyone's blogs a little later but I'd still like to know.  It's wonderful that we can talk to each other across the miles from different states/countries/backgrounds/cultures and share the common bond of love for all things fiber.  I've learned so much from all of you about fiber arts and fiber animals even fiber animal farming.  I'd just like to thank all of you for being so caring and sharing and giving.  You all rock!  Seriously.
 There are great peeps here in Grand Rapids that gather in different places at different times to share their skills and talents whether it be knitting, spinning, weaving, crocheting or sewing.  Can't think of a better place to be.  I look forward to every opportunity that arises to sit and knit or spin and chat or debate with very nice folks.

There has been some knitting going on here.  I'm revising a sock pattern for my friend Susan and truly enjoying all the math.  Guess that's why I'm an accountant huh?  The yarn I'm using for the test sock I dyed myself at last November's Hickory Corners gathering of the Zombie Prom Date Knitters.  (see pic at top of post)
 Helix Scarf
Picot Top Olympic Sock

I'm trying to find my Big Ass Sweater mojo but it has gone missing again...

I wanted to be sure and show you the cute little project bag that Susan made which now belongs to me!
Isn't it pretty in all it's Amy Butler-ness?

And just for grins I've been looking at some vintage (70s) knitting patterns, let me know your thoughts on these...

No!  I'm really not serious about that last one but couldn't resist throwing it in for laughs.

 Have a great weekend everybody!  Be sure to check out the other great fiber peeps who contribute to Fiber Arts Friday over on Andrea's blog.

19 comments:

Heather Woollove said...

Ooooh...shudder...70's knitting mostly leaves me cold! I did have an oatmeal-colored 'coat sweater' with a tie belt in the late 70's that had bumpy circles on it all over (what do you knitters call those?) that I absolutely LOVED!

WonderWhyGal said...

I've yet to knit with my hand dyed yarn from that day although I did sell a skein of it right away.

The patterns are hilarious. I am so glad I was a child of the 70's and didn't knowingly make decisions to wear some of those clothes (tehehe)

One day, I will get my butt up to GR and spin with your group. I am so glad you found Tamara and the rest of the spinners.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Tamara said...

OK you all...I love 70's clothes!! I actually liked the last pattern. I do confess...

Ally, the green skein is really pretty. How many yards do you have?

Dutch Hollow said...

But the last one was my favorite! I bet you could pull it off nicely.

Melissa Plank said...

Hey Ally, great projects...maybe it's time to teach the Saint to knit so he can finish the sweater himself, then you can fully devote yourself to guilt free fiber crafting!

Melissa said...

Your hand dyed yarn looks yummy.

My vote for the vintage pattern is the dress pattern with the hat. I love the hat. I could see that selling with no problem.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Spinster Beth said...

Hey, that last photo ... where did you get that picture of my mother?!

I saved my mom's old 70s and 80s patterns for a while, till the books fell apart. 80s fashion was far more horrific than the 70s. All those shoulder pads!

I did have a pattern for a lovely capelet ... but I don't think I could carry it off ;-). Thanks for the trip back in time!

Kathryn Ray said...

Ditto. FAF is one of my favorite days. I love reading/seeing what everyone has been up to.

I think some 70's fashion is terrific, but agree much of it is horrific.

I am also quite happy I can blame my mother for the clothes I was wearing during that time. But unfortunately the 80's choices were mostly mine. ugh.

I like the dress and hat... it says 28,29 in the photo.

I can't even imagine wearing a full, hand-knitted pant suit, let alone actually making one. That would be quite a project. And was that a houndsooth pattern?? Wow.

Channon said...

Love the green yarn. Can't do much with '70s fashions. Scarred me as a child, I think?

Nichole said...

Oh that green is GORGEOUS! Happy FAF!

Word Lily said...

That's a beautiful green! I love looking at vintage patterns, but sometimes I've found them hard to decipher.

Voie de Vie said...

That green skein is fab! And those vintage patterns are also rather super. I'm not a bell-bottom fan, but can't you just see that outfit with big, honking platforms?

I hope you have a fantastic fiber arts Friday ... and weekend. I'll be working on a few fibery things.

Leah said...

I've already said it, but I LOVE the green yarn. Can't wait to see the finished socks!

Halfpint said...

Looking at old pattern books can be a great laugh, charity shops round here always seem to have lots and they are good for a giggle

fiberdance said...

those patterns are a hoot--I agree about the FAF people being special-I'm still amazed that we can all "talk" to each other across the miles

Nerdy Knitter said...

that's green yarn :) I love it. It is going to be an amazing pair of socks I think!!!

And the last outift are you sure you don't wanna wear it :D

Vivian said...

I like vintage patterns in general, there are always bad ones in every era. I wouldn't wear a whole outfit in houndstooth, so certainly wouldn't want to knit it. But I did knit a pair of wool long johns for myself, it's actually easier than a sweater, and of course I knit sweaters all the time. I'd say a suit would be like a super sized afghan, or two to two and half sweaters.

Bubblesknits said...

I love Amy Butler fabric. Always makes me smile. : ) And look at you go with all that knitting math. I've always been pretty bad with that particular subject, so I always envy people that enjoy it.

Margaret said...

You sure do have an eye for color. your projects just pop with color.
I like vintage knitting books, too. They're great entertainment, but sometimes you catch a gem or two that stand the test of time.