Sunday, August 19, 2007

Alpacas, Sheep, Rabbits, Monkeys and RAIN!

Yay! It's raining! Even though it has been a dreary day here in West Michigan I won't complain...really...we need it so desperately.

Yesterday afternoon was Ally hangs out alone time...this can be fun sometimes...The Saint was gone fishing, Rena was gone to yet another baby shower (she's of that age where all her friends are having babies) and Jared is in St Louis working. I started my Saturday in the usual way with a trip to the local Farmer's Market with Rena and then breakfast at Marie Catrib's. mmm-mmm! Then about 10:30 we went our separate ways.

I decided it would be a good day to pick up a few supplies and browse the new books at Barnes & Noble. I headed straight for the magazines to pick up the latest copy of Interweave Knits, my favorite knitting magazine. With that in hand I decided to take a look and see what they had on the book shelf and I found the most fabulous book, *gasp* Romantic Handknits by Annie Modesitt. Like most other people I know who do hand crafts I am subject to the occassional wild hair, enter Holiday from the aforementioned book. Couldn't find an image of it to post but it is a very nice shawl made with ribbon and I have to knit West Side Story but first it's gonna be a Holiday for me. I'm thinking purples, think that's too adventurous? I happen to have a half dozen spools of variegated purple ribbon that would work perfect for the ruffles on that skirt. But right now this is my progress on Holiday...


Rena and I drove down to Allegan this morning for this...















there were lots of interesting animals and some fabulous fibers to be had.

And now we have some of them,

like this...

wool and mohair, two skeins wound together, hand painted by Deb at Handmade In The Hills She had beautiful yarns for knitting and weaving and was super friendly too. She's from Lawrenceville, PA and that's quite a drive to Allegan. I can see this yarn as a scarf for this winter.



And this...
It's called Ice Cream Sundae. The picture doesn't do it justice though. Gypsy Girl Creations, hand painted, fingering weight, 100% superwash Merino. The color is pink, white and chocolate. Yummy! I purchased this from The Fold I feel some more socks coming soon.

Speaking of socks, here's my progress on the Monkey (click on photo to enlarge)
really doesn't look like much does it? I believe I'm going to start the heel now so these can be some short socks. I like them short better than long as they are more comfortable if they don't go so high on my leg. (and Cass is getting way too far ahead in the Let's Learn Socks KAL, ha ha ha)




Here we have a view of the box just before sealing for the Dish Rag Tag. That was a hoot! I don't think I've ever knitted a dish cloth that fast before. And don't really care to do one that fast again, it's not a good thing to speed knit when you have carpal tunnel syndrome. I keep a plentiful supply of pharmaceuticals handy for just such occasions though so it was all ok. Can't let a little arm ache stop the creative processes. Go Lucky 13!

Everybody have a great week! Toodles!

5 comments:

Nichole said...

You are so dedicated - arm aches and all, you poor thing!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that sock yarn - yummy!!!!!
Sadly your rain postponed today's NASCAR race..........

Cass said...

Oooooo that ice cream yarn is STUNNNNNING!!! love it. And your monkeys are looking great! I'm only going fast b/c my socks are totally stockinette stitch. :p lol Great pics!

Alana - Knit Wit said...

I LOVE the way your dishrags got that funny bold stripy pattern. Very Cool!

A friend gave me two "sets" like your wool and mohair and I had no clue what to do with them. I like your idea of a scarf. Maybe a mobius. Are you familiar with them?

Allison said...

The box is here - the box is here. I love the dishrag - it's so fun and such a great colorway! I'm going to get started on mine tonight. Thanks so much for all the wonderful goodies - I'll post a photo blogside soon. You're a great dishrag pal!

JessaLu said...

Nice acquisitions! Your monkey socks are looking great :o)