Friday, June 11, 2010

It's Friday! Have you had your fiber today?

Another week has flown by and here we are again at Fiber Arts Friday!  Don't forget to stop in at Andrea's blog and check out all the fine fiber artists she knows.

Here's a Monkey I've been knitting on for Rena.  She started them Magic Loop method and when she got to the point of starting the heel flap stuck them in a bag and forgot about 'em.   One Tuesday when I went to her house to sit and knit I took my red sweater to work on.  When I ran out of yarn and hadn't brought anymore with me she pulled out these socks and asked if I wanted to do the heels.  Pretty sneaky isn't she?

They are such a pretty color I don't mind knitting on them.  And I've changed back to dpn's...I really like not having to fiddle with a cable.  I got the dpn bug while I was knitting the sleeves for Mr. Greenjeans.  It was just easier to use the dpn's instead of running that cable around and around.  I'm thinking I'll have to order some of those nice nickel plated dpn's that Knit Picks has.  I got a set of size 2.50 mm but can see a couple other sizes in my future.

I added to my sewing machine flock tonight.  The Saint and I picked up a Singer 201 in a nice little cabinet.  I'm guessing that the original owner must have been married to a cigar smoker...pee-ewe!!!  I rubbed the cabinet down with Olde English and it doesn't look too bad.  It is nice and solid.  The machine is ree-ly dirty.  It'll take some serious work to get it super spiffy.

The Singer 201 is a straight stitch only machine.  The 201's original owner was either very creative or had a great passion for gadgets as there was a button-hole attachment...

a zigzag attachment...

and a blind stitch attachment...

in one of the drawers...along with a gazillion old buttons!  And then there was the very scary wiring that I'll have to deal with...
this is the machine end of the cord that goes from the foot pedal to the machine.  Don't think I'll be plugging this baby in any time soon.  Guess I'll get some wiring practice on this machine.

I'll leave you today with this, the sun was going down over the houses across the street from Chez B...such a beautiful sky...
LittleDog says have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Holly Bee said...

I just love all the sewing machine and all the accessories!

The monkeys look great! I like that pattern.

Kathryn Ray said...

Your new sewing machine is beautiful. And how amazing is it to have the original boxes for all of those attachments.

I like the idea of your friend getting you to knit your heels for her.

Channon said...

That is pretty yarn. Good of you to do the heels!

Have a great weekend.

Allison said...

A vintage sewing machine with the attachments in their original packaging is quite the find. My vintage Kenmore has the buttonholer and the zigzag attachments which can be fun to use.

jessecreations said...

That is awesome! I just got a used Brother this week - my first sewing machine EVER - and it made me think of your blog! Now I just have to figure out how to use mine ... :)

American Quilter's Society said...

Great work! Can't wait to see the finished project!

www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

Kathryn Ray said...

I have a button hole attachment for my Grandmother's Singer. I don't know how to use it. My mom thinks she might remember, so we're going to try it out one of these days.

... and even better and nicer that you made the heels for your daughter. :-)

WonderWhyGal said...

You really are inspiring to sew with your beautiful machines. I love the socks too.

Margaret said...

I have my Grandmother's Singer. Complete with the handbook dated 1914! She had the buttonhole attachment, too. I've rarely had the machine out of the cabinet. Right now, there's an aquarium perched on top.

Bubblesknits said...

You have quite the collection of sewing machines, don't you? :) The older ones are so pretty.

Love the Monkeys, btw.