Friday, September 10, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday, Sept 10th

Hello!  Thank you for coming to see what I'm up to this week.

I've been knitting away on my latest pair of socks, one is finished and the other is off to a good start.  Last night I managed to get the picot top knit down with a few swears and raced around for a few rows...gotta love that mindless stockinette knitting.  The yarn is Austermann Step which I love, it's treated with aloe and is so easy on your hands and feet.
I snuck in a dish cloth in between the two socks.  I enjoy how the lacy cloths look but don't really enjoy making them.  It seems to be quite painful for my hands to K1, S1, PSSO with dish cloth cotton and size 7 needles.  I do prefer the sock/lace weight yarn and smaller needles for knitting.
 I've noticed that the pile-o-cloths I've been using for awhile are fading to blah and several have holes in them.  Since I love hand-knit dishcloths I'd better get busy making some new ones so I don't have to go back to store-bought again.  They won't all be lace patterns though, gotta go back to a simpler pattern for the next ones.

Of the many blogs I troll through in a week's time I enjoy reading AmpuTeeHee. Today when I stopped by to see what she was up to I found this very interesting video...

Traditional way of processing wool in Serbia.

It's not in English but doesn't really need to be imo.  I wonder how long our clothes would last if we beat them on rocks with paddles like that.  I thought it interesting that the woman spinning the flax was actually spitting on it at regular intervals.  I know that flax wheels usually come with a little bowl attached for water so you can wet the flax while spinning it into linen thread.

It's been pretty quiet around here this week.  Daughter Rena celebrated her 4th anniversary yesterday, Hey Rena!! Love you...and The Chef too!

I'm thinking about asking The Saint to take me to a nearby Indian restaurant for my birthday.  I can't think of a thing I need (except a new phone, ha!) so will be happy with a nice dinner and not having to do dishes for the evening.

Hop on over to Andrea's blog for a great tour of the fibery things you can learn about at Greenfield Village.  You'll also find some other crafty peeps on the Fiber Arts Friday listing at the bottom of her Friday posts.  I always find interesting things there and I'll bet you will too.

LittleDog in the wild
Have a great day!

11 comments:

Ellen said...

I love that Austermann yarn. I have part of one sock with it, waiting for me to finish. Some days I just have knitting ADD and can't start or finish anything I'm working on.
Enjoy your weekend!

Channon said...

Love those socks. I'm sure I have some of the Aust. Step in my stash... hmmm...

My cloth pile is low too, but I'm really enjoying crocheting them these days. I hope they'll wear as well.

Inspiration Fibers said...

Austermann is one of my favorite yarns, too. They're the socks I put on to treat myself for the day!
I don't know how you can stand making the dish cloths. One year I decided to make two for everyone in my family (aunts, cousins, g.mas, etc.--about 30 total) and now I hate them. Too much of a good thing I guess. Unfortunately, they all keep asking when I'm going to make them again. I offered to teach them all to knit.

Nichole said...

Happy Friday! Love the pic of Little Dog.... I need to knit up some of my Step too.....

Kathryn Ray said...

The video is idylic... I feel more peaceful after watching it.

I don't quite get the idea of knitted dishclothes. I mean, I understand it could be a fun way to try new patterns and techniques and get a finished object quickly... but I have a hard time with the using your knitting effort as a rag. I feel I must be missing something.

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I admire those who knit dishcloths - I love them, but I have a really hard time knitting with cotton yarn. Just kills my hands.

Grace said...

Happy upcoming birthday to my September birthday buddy, love the colors of your sock yarns.

Sam Attal said...

Your socks are gorgeous! The Austermann yarn is beautiful.
Tamara

WonderWhyGal said...

Your socks are beautiful and the yarn is GORGEOUS! As usual, I always love little dog photos. He is such a cutie.

I gave up on cleaning. That's how I have so much time to to spin, knit and be merry.

Tamara said...

If you come to the fest on the 18th will you stiop by and say hi? Would love to see you. Tamara

Bubblesknits said...

Nice socks! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with sore hands after doing all those stitches in cotton. :) Give Little Dog some love for me.