Friday, November 26, 2010

After turkey FAF 11 26 10

I'm assuming that if you're reading this post you've survived turkey day and whatever other activities you've gotten yourself into this past week.  After eating 2 different turkey dinners yesterday I've had quite enough thank you.  I've spent the morning catching up on the 3 episodes of Luther that I recorded and am finally sipping the coffee that I made about 2 hours ago and have re-heated in the microwave at least twice, ugh.  Seems we've had a bit of a TV adventure around Chez B today that hasn't gone so well...

I've been a busy little spinner this past week and I'd reached the point of toe decreases on my red sock when I saw that I messed up about 10 rows back so am in the middle of a bit of tinking, drat!  The handspun is very pretty though, Andrea's beautiful Suri/Alpaca roving is turning into some magnificent yarn.  See for yourself...

I've also got a bump of her Rum Brown/English Garden that I'll spin next. I'm thinking about plying them together and making a keyhole scarf with the resulting plied yarn.  Just a thought.

The black beret is blocked and here's a photo of the hat on Blue Lady.

I believe I'd like it a bit bigger in the lace area and smaller in the band.  Since it is such a quick and fun knit I'll be casting on another quite soon.

I've been reading the latest issue of Spin-Off, a dangerous magazine I feel, in light of the fact that it so blatantly encourages you to look at pretty spinning wheels and things.  I love the Kromski Sonata and Kromski Minstrel but then there is the Lendrum Folding Wheel  but for it's beautiful lines I like the Ashford Traditional.  I might have to go try out some spinning wheels one of these days.  Or perhaps I should just get in touch with Dave the Alpaca Barber and have him refurbish my $9 special.  All I really need a wheel for at this point will be plying the yarns I can spin on my drop spindle.  I would think the old wheel could handle that job.  It would also be in keeping with my vintage tool obsession.  So many options...

I tried out a new crochet pattern I found for a MaryJane slipper, it didn't seem to have much substance so I decided I'd measure it up good, felt it, then figure out how much bigger I'd need to make one so, after felting, it would fit my foot.  Here's what I ended up with  thanks to some turkey day felting by Rena
 now for more measuring and a bit of mathematics.

You can see more exciting fibery things by clicking through to Andrea's blog...Wisdom Begins In Wonder and checking out the other participants in Fiber Arts Friday.

LittleDog would wish you all a Happy Friday but he's too busy hogging my new to me (CL $15) knitting chair...

7 comments:

Channon said...

Love that felted slipper and the handspun. Wow! It's all nice, really... I'm no fan of turkey, so a very little bit is more than enough for me.

Enjoy your weekend.

WonderWhyGal said...

The two colors plied together will be lovely. If I were to buy a Kromski (which I've been drooling to get one) it would be the Minstrel. I've seen some on sale in the Knit Classifieds on Ravelry so...stalk it. I love my Lendrum folding wheel and the jumbo flier can hold over 8oz so...it's perfect. I have the Ashford Elizabeth and now they are promoting the Elizabeth II. I have the best of all worlds. Yes, try out the wheels. You are embracing the spinner in you and the right wheel will come when it's ready. Dave would be a great idea though. Regardless, for such a steal on your wheel, you might as well put some money in to getting it working and still come out ahead of buying a new one.

Your beret is sassy! I love it on the blue head.

You are a Fiber Arts Goddess this week! Great to see all the awesome! Happy Holiday and glad you enjoyed all of your family and visiting.

Lollipopps Creations said...

Absolutely adore the slippers. Even though i love thanksgiving, i'm glad it's over. The week leading up to thanksgiving was so busy with preparations and crafting projects.

Kathryn Ray said...

Thanksgiving Day is tops in my book. I'm always a little sad when it's over. But, I don't think I could handle more than one Thanksgiving Dinner a day. So kuddos to you all for being able to do that.

I love the handspun yarn. The color feels very icy. Do you have a project planned for it?

AllyB said...

Thanks Andrea, for the info and the praise. I'm loving the spinning to the point of obsession right now. I started that lavender roving on Sunday and I'd say I have less than an oz left to spin.

Thanks Kathryn, I do not have a project in mind for the handspun yet, I have another batt to spin then going to ply them together and see what I get before the project will come upon me.

jessecreations said...

How fun, your spinning looks great! I just spun up some of Andrea's alpaca/merino blend recently, too, it was a dream to spin!

I, too, had to recover from Thanksgiving stress and food by spinning. :)

Margaret said...

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, twice! Lovely yarn, and I like the beret. Funny- I posted about a pug and a new red chair today too!