Friday, December 3, 2010

FAF 12 03 10 First Yarn

I have spun and plied my first yarn.  I purchased 1/4 oz of Alpaca/angel hair/Merino dyed in Kool-Aid from Tamara of Via Verde Farm while attending the Quilt/Fiber Expo at the Coopersville Farm Museum back in the summertime.  I chose the fiber because it was pink and sparkly.  It was my first ever fiber for spinning purchase.  I used it to make this pretty yarn with my new Ashford Turkish Spindle..

It was interesting how some parts of the single that I spun let go of its twist when I was plying.  I have lots to learn.  I love the Ashford spindle!

I did finish my red socks last weekend and wore them one day this week.  They are comfy and toasty.  I do like the pattern in a more solid color though.

I've been busy moving office again at work.  Just about settled, gotta move the computer and I'll be ready to rock.  Ahh, gotta love a change of scenery.

There is a new scarf on a pair of gigantic needles...and I really mean gigantic.  These are size 17.

The yarn is Crystal Palace Yarns, Taos, color #18.  The scarf pattern is Keyhole Scarf by Kim Hamlin.

Tomorrow is open house at Yarn Hollow.  You should join us, it'll be fun!

Don't forget to check out the other Fiber Artists over at Wisdom Begins In Wonder...Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

12 comments:

Allison said...

That is a beautiful scarf! I like knitting on large needles especially for quick afghans.

I've been working towards trying to spin my own yarn. Bought the book, need the spindle!

Dutch Hollow said...

Congratz on your first purchased spin! It turned out great.

WOW those are some giant needles. I have a size S corchet hook that looks beastly that I use and at times wish I had even a bigger one.

Channon said...

Beautiful everything! I'd been admiring the scarf on Ravelry...

Melissa Plank said...

Your hand spun is awesome, I can't wait to see it in person, love the scarf too, great stitch pattern. The yarn you chose (Love Crystal Palace!)really enhances/defines the pattern

jessecreations said...

I love your scarf!!

Kathryn Ray said...

First hand spun? and plied on a drop spindle?? Very Nice.

Inspiration Fibers said...

Great first hand spun! Actually, just great hand spun! (without considering it's your first!) It's real yarn! I always tell my spinning students not to expect too much out of their first attempt, but you're a pro!
Love, love the scarf!!

Knot By Gran'ma said...

Congrats on your first yarn! I love it... the scarf too!

WonderWhyGal said...

You are amazing! I've been looking at getting a Turkish Drop Spindle, they are so beautiful.

Good call spinning with Tamara's fiber. She creates lovely roving to spin.

I wish I were going to the open house tomorrow but I can't. You have fun and buy tons of stuff from Rita. One day soon we'll plan a play date where I can come up to see you.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Sam Attal said...

Thanks AllyB! You have done a beautiful job. I love that Turkish spindle. Glad to see that your hand is healing and you are back on track. See you Sunday. And probably tomorrow. I am going too. Tamara

AllyB said...

Thank you so much everyone. It's wonderful to have such enthusiastic support.

Bubblesknits said...

Look at you and your spinning! =) Great job! Love the colors in the scarf, too.