Friday, August 10, 2012

A cool rainy Friday...

Hello! Welcome to this week's edition of Fiber Arts Friday. I hope you find something pretty or interesting while you're here. Please be sure to leave a comment so I know you've visited. Then hop over to Wisdom Begins in Wonder to see all the other creative folks that participate in FAF.

Here is the finished Watermelon Crescent. I used almost all the handspun I had for this project and used the Jenny's Suprisingly Stretchy Bind-off for the finish. Here are linkies to a tutorial and a video version for those who want to learn this indispensible bind-off technique.

See how pretty...
.
I decided to resist the urge to knit til I ran out of yarn and left off the last two rows. I don't think it's going to make any difference and I'm happy with the way it turned out. Now I'll have something to take to work and throw around my shoulders when the a/c is too cold.

A decision will have to be made whether I should put a button on it to hold it together or get a shawl pin. Opinions? I've never used a shawl pin so I wonder how annoying it would be with the pointy parts and all.

I'm leaning toward a button, since I have such a nice assortment of handmade, from The Delicion, buttons...
The Olympics have been playing every day at Chez B. The volleyball and boxing were great. Claressa Shields from Flint is kickin some ass! Which gives us hope for the sport of boxing in the Olympics...the men's judges sucked! There were so many interesting, more obscure, sports on early in the day I was getting up early just to watch them. Judo, fencing, white water rafting...and the two-man canoe race...that last one gave me a backache just watching it. LOL I hope you're all enjoying the games too.

I got the call Wednesday from my local yarn shop that the last couple skeins of Cascade Superwash I needed for the big blankie arrived. As soon as I finish this sock for Yarn Hollow I'll be heavy on the blankie knitting. I only have about 6 wks to get it done, wah!

Enjoy your week and I'll see you next Friday!
I'm such a poser!

11 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

That shawl is gorgeous. Hooray for getting your yarn too. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Fiber Festival. Yes, the rain is heavenly! I don't even mind getting wet this morning getting to work...my pasture is happy, I am happy.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Glad your dog is feeling better...that watermelon shawl is awesome! I have a watermelon tshirt I wear a lot and I saw a pattern for watermelon socks!

Cathy said...

Your watermelon shawl looks so delicious! wooo, love your button stash :)

Heather Woollove said...

Love the shawl, Ally...and I vote for one of your amazing handmade buttons!! XXO-

Kathryn Ray said...

Your shawl looks awesome!

Vivian said...

You do have a nice button stash! I say give the pin a try if you have it, don't have to use it if you don't like the way it feels. Buttons are more permanent.

Nichole said...

It's a rainy day here too... and MAY finally be cooling off a bit. LOVE the finished shawl and LOVE the idea of a button even more! Little dog looks cute posing!

Spinster Beth said...

Oh, thanks for the stretchy bind off links!

Love the watermelon! I vote button, since the shape is so symmetrical.

Kim Rickards said...

The shawl is soooooooooo pretty. I love the buttons too. There is a vendor at FF each year that has some great handmade buttons. I hope to pick up some beauties next Friday. Keep on posin! Little Dog! Kim R

Pooch said...

Very cute summer shawl! Love your buttons too.

:)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Your watermelon shawl looks super, I think a button would be a good idea