Friday, August 31, 2012

FAF 8/31/12

Wow, Labor Day weekend is already upon us. It's been so blazing hot all summer I feel like I missed it. When you try to stay in the a/c all the time it doesn't leave much time to spend outside. We have had a couple of good fishing outings though. What was the most fun you've had this summer?

I've spent more time swatching this summer than in all the years I've been knitting. Perhaps it's the sign of my knitting maturity? I know that I don't want to knit another sweater that doesn't fit when I'm done. Only have to do that once to learn a lesson. So, here's my third swatch for the Eisen sweater...
This was knit with two different needle sizes, the dental floss is the dividing line (you may have to biggie-size the pic to see it) I've just knit the first row of the twisted rib segment. Hoping this yarn will give me the gauge I need.

There has also been a little progress made on the stripey sock. I had to switch to DPNs those circs were driving me crazy for some reason.
Last Friday morning The Saint had his foot surgery so he's been laying around the house looking at this...
I'm trying to talk him into learning to crochet so he can make some hats to give away this winter...stay tuned for any further developments...

One of the benefits of the big-ole-foot is that we've had take-out a couple times in the past week. One night we decided on Thai food and I added an order of Crab Rangoons, they not only looked good they were yummy too.
Hopefully you've all had a great week too. If you'd like to see what some other creative peeps have been doing lately hop on over to Wisdom Begins In Wonder and check out the Fiber Arts Friday posts.

Thanks for coming by, have a great week.

LittleDog says "getting plenty of sleep is very important to healing"

"
don't you agree that he must be well healed? LOL

10 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Swatching? Aggghh!

Why does gauge have to be so difficult?

You are a good egg taking the time to swatch though.

I love that yarn Rita dyed. GORGEOUS.

Kathryn Ray said...

Good for you on the swatching. :-)

I hope all of your boys are feeling better.

Vivian said...

I agree with LittleDog on healing. I'm coming down with a cold, so I refuse to do any work today.

A trick I learned about swatching, do a bunch of yo's when you change needles to show the needle size. Like if you start with size 6, do 6 yo, when you switch to 7s, do 7 yo in the next row. It's very visual and make it easier to keep track.

Carol said...

I like your red striped sock - that's a great color. I'm all for colorful socks as you can see on my blog post! Your dog is so cute!

Voie de Vie said...

I love, love, love the color of that yarn in your swatch! I do hope that works out - I think it's going to make a beautiful sweater.

And LittleDog is an absolute cutie. Sleeping might help him heal ... but it also preserves his cuteness. :)

And the saint crocheting? Can't wait to see how this develops!

Nichole said...

Happy FaF! Those crab rangoon look delish and I LOVE that green yarn you're sweater swatching! Have a great long weekend!

Spinster Beth said...

First off, hope Saint is doing okay! And tell him crocheting is a MANLY art!

I love that greeny color. It's like mint candy! And the stripy socks are really pretty

I tend to prefer circs above everything, but probably that's because when I use DPNs I get terrible ladders.

Cathy said...

I love your swatch, the colour is so calming. Funny that I was thinking about maybe I should start swatching, like, properly instead of only doing 10 rows or so. Have a nice weekend!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Little dog is right (that is an adorable photo). Hope the Saint's foot is healing ok. I am impressed with your swatching. Lovely yarn colours

Keri said...

Well done with the swatching. I still fight it as much as possible. Hope the foot recovers quickly. It looks mighty uncomfortable.