Sunday, November 23, 2008

Circular Needle Storage

5 1/2" Floppy Box Finds New Life...


I've been searching for the perfect method of storing my circular needles. Way too much time has been spent untangling the spaghetti-like cables and inserting the needles in the gauge to see what size they are, then measuring the cable length; only to forget a couple days later what I have in my arsenal of knitting weapons.


Finally, I will measure needles no more! In the trash pile at work the other day I found an old floppy disc box - remember those? There was a time when every office in the building had one. Now however, the "floppy" has been replaced with the CD drive or the handy-dandy portable USB drive.



What many would regard as junk has found a new use at my house. A little time, construction paper and glue and I have a great new use for this seemingly outdated item. I'll be searching through the basement storage next week to see if there are any more available. I know some other folks would like to have one too.


If you'd like to make your own and don't want to figure out the measurements and method, here is a tutorial on how I made mine. Hope you find it useful in your craft room.

All photos will biggie-size if you click on them


Find an old 5 1/2" floppy disk box...
Gather construction paper, ruler, scoring tool - I used a mechanical pencil with lead retracted - scissors and glue. If you're crafty like me you'll already have this stuff leftover from another project, lol.


Measure and score the construction paper as follows...1 5/8" down each long side of sheet, 6 3/4" from one short end then 1 3/4" from same end.


Trim square from corners and a narrow wedge at center fold You'll have something that looks like this...

Fold in the upper side flaps, fold bottom half up and wrap the lower flaps around the back of the envelope. Spread Elmer's type glue on the flap and stick it to the back of the envelope.


It should fit perfectly in the box...

Fold down the top flap to close and add a sticky label with the needle size and you have nice sturdy storage for your circs.

Any questions? I'd be glad to help you with your very own circ box, just leave a comment here or send me a PM on Ravelry.

Happy crafting!

6 comments:

Coggie said...

Love it! Now I want one. Guess I need to search the thrift store for a floppy case.

Linda said...

You're a smart woman!

I think there's one of those hanging about on my computer desk. But with my needle case from Gourmet, I'm spoiled.

LesleyD said...

Too Cute!! Way to Go Ally!!!

KnittingReader said...

What a great idea! Sorry I have been quiet lately--work is insane! (And I'll skip the post on the Saint's cheese--thanks for the warning!)

Bubblesknits said...

That's a great idea for that! I'm thinking about taking an old pair of my blue jeans and making one of those hanging circ holders.

Shine said...

Ally, this is really cool