Saturday, November 8, 2008

My knitting education continues...

I got to meet Jared Flood of BrooklynTweed fame at the EGR Public Library last night.


And I won a fabulous prize, a kit of Rita's yummy hand painted yarn and an EZ BSJ pattern, thanks Lorilee!


We saw beautiful photographs and picked up some great tips on improving our own photos without spending a gazillion dollars on equipment.


His knitwear is amazing! Go check out his blog if you haven't already. He has some mad teaching skilz too.


This morning was seamless sweater design at City Knitting. Jared explained the percentage technique for knitting his awesome Cobblestone Pullover. Before the class I would have thought it was beyond my ability but now, I am so doing it!

And he's funny! And very cute...in a cute like my son Jared kinda way, LOL. We had lots of laughs in class and even though I totally abandoned my swatch (I can't knit and watch detailed instructions on a white-board at the same time) I learned a lot and had a great time.

Jared & Lorilee
And it's always great to see Rowan at class, hey Rowan!
Rowan & Josh
Lorilee & Jared
If you get the opportunity to take one of his classes, don't miss it, especially if you have an appreciation for Elizabeth Zimmerman's knitwear. Having made the BSJ and the ASJ myself I really was glad to hear an oral explanation of her design strategy using the percentage system. I fumbled my way through the two sweaters I made and having Jared explain them in a class was really helpful. I'll be starting a new sweater soon, I'm sure.


Lunch at Rafav's then it was back to CK for a few photos, autographs and another class for Jared to teach on Aran sweater knitting.


Jared & Ally>>>




Kristin & Jared
I spent the afternoon hanging out with the usual peeps (hey Carol, Rosalyn and Suzanne) and finished my Election Day Sock - that didn't get done in time for election day, hehehe.

This was my first toe-up sock after taking Cookie A's class a couple weeks ago. I like it, alot!

4 comments:

Christine said...

It looked like you had a blast! Nice pictures :)

Grace said...

lucky you I have made several of his designs!!!

Bubblesknits said...

Cool! I'm thinking about doing the Hemlock Ring Throw (I think that's one of his...I think...lol).

wildflower38 said...

lucky you!!