Saturday, January 31, 2009

You can crochet socks?! Who knew?

I was surprised to see a segment about crocheted socks on an old episode of Knit and Crochet Today that my DVR caught the other day. Of course I had to throw the Big Ass Sweater aside for a minute and give this new-to-me sock technique a try.

I love the cuff and the leg is super simple half-double crochet but the yarn recommended which I happened to have a bunch of in my stash is not my fav and it is way too bulky for my tender feets. I guess it's good practice but I'm scrounging through my stash to find a finer, natural fiber yarn.

I have this yummy Panda Wool Superwash that was hand dyed by Rita at Yarn Hollow that might be just the right yarn for the job.

it's a Superwash Merino, Bamboo, Nylon blend...

or maybe this solid black Louet Gems Opal would be a good choice...

I picked this up at the Michigan Fiber Festival last fall. I'll give them a try today and let you know.

I'm heading over to City Knitting in a few minutes to see if there is anything else that would work better - ha, yeah like that's really why I'm going there! I have to go get my weekly dose of friendship, that's why I'm really going. I'm thinking I need something that's tightly spun so I don't have to deal with splitty yarn. Me and the crochet hook don't always see eye to eye on yarn choice though. The hook usually wins, LOL.

To the victor go the socks, in the meantime I hope everyone is staying safe and warm and getting some crafting done.

Have a great weekend everybody!

4 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

I've tried crocheting socks, before, but I'm just not a good crocheter. Hope you had fun at City Knitting!

Grace said...

I might be able to actually think about crocheted socks, knitted ones intimidate me, but one hook as opposed to 4-5 needles, that could be doable

Nichole said...

So which did you choose?

wildflower38 said...

I'm monitoring your progress. Do you think a sport/dk weight yarn would be better?