Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Playin Possum

I've been knitting and quilting and crocheting like a crazy woman of late.

I got a crochet sock cuff started with actual sock yarn, I like the fabric better but it is sloooooow going for sure.

Size D hook and sock yarn...endless hooking I tell ya! And black too, I must be crazy! I practically need some airport landing lights to see the stitches.

Here's how it looks...compared to the sport weight that I tried first (suggested yarn).










And in other news...we finally found out why the dogs keep hanging out by the shed behind the garage...with their noses poking under/through the fence...



this rather large Opossum with very cute pink toes must be living under there.

We had to keep the dogs inside since I didn't want them knocking the critter off the fence onto their heads. I have no idea if their fierce or not. Anybody out there know anything about Opossum behavior?

ETA: I actually Googled the Opossum and found that it is a long-existing (back to dinosaur time) mammal that is marsupial (like a kangaroo) non-confrontational, transient with opposable thumbs on it's hind legs that doesn't dig holes and usually doesn't live beyond 4 yrs. Their supposed to bear their young between February and April so maybe if this one hangs around long enough we'll find out if it is male or female. Couldn't get close enough to check, hahaha.

10 comments:

Rena said...

Didn't you see over the hedge. I thought the only things Opossum's did was play dead. They seemed harmless in the movies, They never lie in the movies :) lol

Christine said...

Aww... that is a cute picture of it! Dunno anything more about them though.

Renee said...

I only know that they like to nap in the roadways most often :)

clarabelle said...

I've never even heard of one! I don't think we get opossums here in the UK; I think I might like one though - yours looks cute and cuddly! But, no doubt, they're totally vicious and chew through your house foundations or something...

Bubblesknits said...

The few encounters I've had with them, they're either going "bump-bump" under my car or they're waddling next to the roadside.

I have heard that they can be a bit vicious if they feel threatened. Although, that's just about any animal, so...?

wildflower38 said...

I know possums great really big down here and I'm afraid of them. They look like giant rats. You're one brave woman!

oh btw love your sock!

wildflower38 said...

one last thing animal control will catch them and take them away.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

the Opossum is so cute:) cant talk about my projects as they are for a swap but maybe in a week to 10 days:)Hugs Darcy

Anonymous said...

Opossums are evil little things. They eat chickens and can live through several pitchfork attacks. My dog injured one and I kept thinking it was dead until we saw it breathing. When they get hissy and bear their teeth they are not nice. I would get rid of it if possible.
Kim

Nichole said...

What a cutie... hopefully its a she and you'll see a baby!