Friday, April 23, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday...win a prize!

Hello!  LittleDog says Welcome Back... 

 It's been a busy week here at Chez B, spring cleaning is underway and this year's big project is the basement, uh.  Since I need to make room on the shelves down there for a few vintage sewing machines and some totes of yarn a fabric, something else will have to leave. 

Sorting through all those boxes brought a rush of  fond memories - old photos and the kid's elementary school papers.  Even the sale papers from my first house were still down there, bought it brand new, in 1976 for $28,500...can you even buy a new car for that today?!  I think not.

I was amazed that I still had papers down there from my school days.  Can you find me? (click on photo to biggie-size)
 
Take a guess and you could win this prize...
 

Learn how to do Card Weaving with a couple of skeins of Serendipity Tweed from Brown Sheep.

Leave a comment with your email and your best guess and I'll throw your name in a hat on, say, Friday, April 30th at 6pm.  You could add card weaving to your repertoire - and who doesn't need another skill?  The book is in excellent condition and all the cards are there...one of Rena's explorations into the fiber arts that didn't take hold.  Don't we all have a few of those?
 
This was probably my favorite find...
 Jared's first written story.

or this...
a Mother's Day card from Rena.  All the memories of their childhood are special ones for me.  I could not have asked for more awesome children who are now awesome adults.

Have a great weekend everybody.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  Be sure to check out Ellen,  Allison, Dutch Hollow, and Holly that participate in Fiber Arts Friday.  And as always Andrea rocks!

PS:  I may have added to the herd this week...

This is a Singer 185J from 1954 and I can't wait to get her fixed up and running!  She's so cute at 3/4 size.

17 comments:

Ellen said...

That school picture was priceless! I went to school in Brooklyn, NY and those kids could have been my classmates. We all looked so alike.
Since I have absolutely no idea what you look like now, I'll pick the smiley, headbanded girl in the third row, third from the left.
My email is ellenronnie <@> gmail.com
Thanks for sharing your memories and for linking to me too!
Have a great fiber Friday!

WonderWhyGal said...

Second Row from the bottom in the center. Trying to look at the eyes and since I've only met you once in person I'm making a big guess.

Thanks for sharing and what a great prize.

andrea@wonderwhyalpacafarm.com

I LOVE the sewing maching! I gave my sister my grandma's old machine. She has it in storage and it kills me to know that. I am going to ask her if I can store it in my family room if she's not using it or at least taking care of it. Grandma made thousands of garments and lots of quilts on that old machine. I can see why you'd prefer to buy the sewing machines than yarn. They are so beautiful.

Lindsay said...

Hmmm.... which one are you. Well I don't see any pugs up there so I'm going to guess the very first little girl on the top left. :)

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

3 across (from left), 2 down? Completely random since we've never met in person!

I love your vintage sewing machine :)

Kathryn Ray said...

I love your old sewing machine.

I have my grandmother's old one. My mom and I have been using it to make a duvet cover.

Kathryn Ray said...

I love your old sewing machine.

I have my grandmother's old one. I remember it being in her house when I was a youngster.

My mom and I have been using it to make a duvet cover.

Grace said...

what a cute idea for a contest!!

Grace said...

oops forgot my guess 3rd row down 3rd from the right

Holly Bee said...

The singer is so cute! It's great finding neat forgotten things!

I'm not guessing, I don't want to embarress myself.

Kathryn Ray said...

ok, I realize that comment moderation is on... so just choose one if you wish. :-)

Nichole said...

What fun finding old stuff!

Channon said...

I don't know why, because I suck at these "games", but I'm going with the doll with the double-sided ponytails on the second row from the bottom.

But more importantly, what kind of harness is the Boom-man wearing? I'm still looking for the right harness for Gretchen.

Allison said...

Are you the first girl in the bottom row?

I love your vintage Singer. I use my Mom's 1950s Kenmore sewing machine. You can see it here:

http://dominanthands.blogspot.com/2009/10/vintage-thingies-thursday-vintage.html

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Wow, I have no idea on the picture, but that top picture of your dog is reminding me of Yoda.

Happy Fiber Friday!

teresasdesk said...

Bottom row, third from the left.

Love the sewing machine! Wish I had room for a collection. I love old sewing machines! :D

Teresa
http://teresasdesk.wordpress.com

LesleyD said...

4th row, 4th from the left.
I'm just guessing here! :-) funny I just borrowed my mom's sewing machine yesterday. Going to make some skirts for the kiddos! ;-)

LizzieK8 said...

Third one from the left on the bottom row.

She looks like she's a serious student!