Thursday, April 1, 2010

quilt planning and it's spring

First I have to actually see it, as I never know if what I see in my head will actually look good to my eyes...
 then wash and dry the fabrics...
 looks like they could use some ironing...and it happens that I have the proper tool... 

I find ironing to be a meditative activity.  Perhaps it's because my Grama taught me how to properly iron men's shirts, exactly perfectly, and when I use the iron I have good thoughts about her.  Of course I didn't just start right in with the shirts...I had to learn how to properly iron a man's hankie first.  You can't imagine what a precise procedure that was.  You first had to shake it out straight, lay it down on the ironing board, iron, fold in half, length-wise, press the fold, fold in half again, length-wise, press the fold, fold in half in the other direction and press, and once more in half and press.  When you finished you had a perfectly square, very flat hankie.  There was no room for error.  My Grandfather was the Principal of a high school and he liked to look his best ever single day.  His socks and his tie always matched.  My Grama even ironed his boxer shorts!  How's that for a dedicated wife?  She was the greatest Grama ever!

Spring is arriving here in West Michigan.  It got close to 80 today and I couldn't wait to get home so I could take off my shoes and socks.  I guess I'll have to throw a coat of polish on the ole tootsies tonight so I can wear sandals tomorrow.

Hope everyone has had a great week.  It was awesome to get so many comments on Parker's Quilt.  Thank you all so much for the kind and supportive words.  Y'All are awesome!

LittleDog says have a wonderful weekend...


A pug in a blanket, LOL

ETA:  This post is part of the Fiber Arts Friday over at Wisdom Begins In Wonder.  Go check it out!

10 comments:

Rena said...

I think the quilt is going to be just marvy!!! Miss that Grama, she was wonderful and I miss her. glad I had as much time with her as I did and lots of good memories. That little doggie of yours. He's so damn cute!!!!!

Grace said...

I think you have a great idea going for the quilt, can't wait to watch its progress

Channon said...

LOVE that last photo.

I don't mind ironing. I don't know who taught me though...

Kathryn Ray said...

I agree that ironing is meditative. My mom taught me to iron my dad's hankies exactly the same way.

Nichole said...

Boomer is so stinking cute!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I love your pug in a blanket!

I admire your ironing zen - I find it somewhat frustrating, and wish it could be a more meditative activity for me.

The finished quilt will be lovely, I'm sure - really like the color selection.

WonderWhyGal said...

I LOVE Pug in the blanket!

Your quilting is so amazing. I wish I could sew...I have a sewing machine but I am awful...you inspire me.

jessecreations said...

Your quilt is going to be beautiful!

Jess

Margaret said...

Awww..look at that face on Littledog!

Happy quilting!

Tammy said...

Mom, the quilt pattern looks perfect. I think you nailed it!

I wish I could feel the same way about ironing as you do. I absolutely hate it and refuse to do it! LOL...

Tam