Friday, August 27, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday...8/27/10

Hello peeps!  Thanks so much for your nice comments on my last post.  While I am not freaking out about having surgery, I am a bit concerned about being off some of my meds for a week prior...not gonna be fun, no sir-ree!  And Caryn, great idea on sticking the needle in the bandage, LOL.  The lovely batt is Suri Alpaca from Andrea's Wonder Why Alpaca Farm.  Here's a linky to her Etsy shop where you could purchase some for your very own.  It's so-so soft.

Welcome to another edition of Fiber Arts Friday here and elsewhere.  I've been feverishly working on a sock and a shawl, and reading a pretty good book.  I'm making a bit of progress on all but not getting them done as fast as I'd like to.  I'm thinking I only have a few weeks til I'm out of commission for - I don't know how long...eh, I have a stack of books to read and a tv so I think I'll be ok.  It'll be a good opportunity to catch up on my dusting, LOL

So, the shawl is coming along nicely, it's wide enough now that it takes a considerable amount of time to knit a row.

This sock I started just a few days ago, I love the yarn and can't wait to see what the finished sock will look like.  I'm knitting a plain sock although I started it with a picot top, which I love.
The sock yarn is Austermann Step, nice yarn with Aloe, soft to the touch and makes a very nice sock.  I have a pair of turquoise/tan/white striped socks of this same brand of yarn.  And have I mentioned that I love the Knit Picks nickel double points?  Well, I do, a lot!  For some reason using the dpn's doesn't make my hands as sore as the 2 circs method did.  Could be why all the serious sock knitters I've met use dpn's huh?

Do any of you have any favorite podcasts, any subject but especially crafty/fibery ones?  I figured out how to download podcasts and put them on my mp3 player.  Now I can pretend I'm hanging out with my fibery peeps while I'm crunching numbers at work.  Helps the day go faster and amazingly improves my concentration.  Wish I'd figured it out a long time ago...

Here's my next project...
Singer 66, decal set is known as "Red Eye"...she's treadle powered...a good thing when the electric bill was almost $200 again this month...I'll be glad when it cools off for Fall.

Have a great week!

9 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I hope all goes well and you won't miss knitting too much.

I think I have the same color Austermann sock yarn. It's one of those projects I started and get bored with. Maybe I'll get back to it. It's so soft and feels so good. I never work with steel dpn's. Thought they might be too slippery.

Have a great weekend!

Kathryn Ray said...

Do you read the Fiber Fool, aka Designedly Kristi?

http://blog.designedlykristi.com/

She had a regular feature that includes podcasts and books. Super crafty, super creative.

Dutch Hollow said...

I love the color of your shawl. Perfect for Fall.

Channon said...

Love me some picots! I don't sew, but that machine is gorgeous.

Don't listen to podcasts either, so I'm just not much help today.

WonderWhyGal said...

Your shawl is gorgeous and I love the yarn for the new socks. I can't wait to see what you create with my Suri Roving too.

Bubblesknits said...

I hope your surgery goes well. I can understand the worry about stopping your medications, though. I'd go crazy without mine. lol

Grace said...

I know your surgery will go well and I will be praying towards that goal. I love your shawl and sock projects!!!

Siga said...

I love your Singer machine!

Gryffinitter said...

Does it make you feel any better if I tell you our Electric bill is WAAAAY higher than that??