Friday, August 20, 2010

learning something new

Welcome back everyone, thank you for coming.  It's great to see so many fibery peeps stopping in to say hey.  Yet another Friday rolls around and it's time for Fiber Arts Friday.  Be sure to stop over and see what Andrea and friends have to show you this week.

I got my Singer 201 back in the cabinet and sewing this week.
 Isn't she a beauty?  Purrs like a kitteh and makes a really nice stitch too.

I'm pretty excited about my estate sale find last Saturday...I went looking for a sewing machine (natch) that they had advertised (like I need another sewing machine) ahem, like I said, I'm cruising around through all the beautiful antique furniture - that I don't have room for in my bungalow - not seeing any evidence of advertised machine...I walk out the door and glance at a box that's sitting on the sidewalk and notice a carding comb...
 hmm, that would be a nice decoration piece in my sewing/yarn storing room...when I get closer to the box I see some thick/thin yarn wound around a spool...a wheel...and a bunch of other miscellaneous parts that I didn't know the names of.  A piece of masking tape said $18 but a big sign by the door said 1/2 off all small items.  I had to walk back in and ask if that box qualified as a small item...yep, it did so for $9 I got a nice old carding comb and a bunch of pieces of a spinning wheel.
 After attempting to assemble the pieces with the main one upside down, it wasn't making any sense...then something told me to turn it over and voila! all those pieces made a bit more sense.
I threw a couple pictures up on a group I belong to on Ravelry, got a bit more info and also found a great website with illustrations showing the pieces and their names and how they should be assembled.  The wheel appears to be very old.  A few parts seem to be replacements as they are a different style than the rest and one of the "maidens" is broken.

Thankfully one of my contacts in the ZPDK knew of someone that refurbishes old wheels and makes replacement parts.  I'll be taking the wheel down to MFF on Saturday so the ZPDKs can all check it out and give their opinion.  Then shop for some fiber to spin on my new fishy spindle that Shannon made.

Learning new things has always been exciting for me, no matter what the subject, eh, except all the new stuff I'm having to learn at work.  This spinning wheel stuff did not disappoint!

Here's wishing you learn something new this week too!

LittleDog has learned that if you lie real still, you won't get so hot...

when it's hot and your person doesn't want to turn on the a/c...pitiful isn't he?

9 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

Wow, great find and deal on an old wheel! Looks like you'll get your chance soon enough to learn how to spin. Funny there's still some yarn on the bobbin.

Kim Wood said...

Uh Oh have you been bit by the spinning bug?

Kathryn Ray said...

Oh so pretty.... the spinning wheel and the sewing machine. :-)

Caryn said...

Did you only get one carder? If you decide that spinning isn't your deal, let me know :)

LesleyD said...

That is an awesome find!! Way to go Aly!

Margaret said...

What a great find! I would love to come across something like that. It'll be fun to see what you spin on it.

Bubblesknits said...

Holy cow, that's an awesome find!!! And it's beautiful! You always find the neatest stuff at yard/estate sales. :)

Rena said...

I learned something this week and that is all I have to say about that. Thanks for helping make me feel better :) I hope your new spinning goes well!

WonderWhyGal said...

Thank you for stopping by my booth. It was so nice to see you in person and I hope Dave, the Alpaca Barber, was a great help to you and your wheel.

I do love your sewing machines...really makes me want to spin.