Friday, April 22, 2011

FAF April 22, 2011

Welcome to another edition of Fiber Arts Friday, be sure to check out the great fiber things that other folks are doing over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.

I finished something this week!  The first of a pair of lace top anklets I'm calling Socks for Susan.  The reason for the name is that one of my knitting peeps wanted to make a pair of anklets.  She picked out this pattern that she liked and I didn't like the way it looked and voiced said opinion.  I offered to re-work the pattern so it would look better and be more wearable.  She is almost finished with her first one and I have finally Kitchenered the toe of the one I did as a test.  I used some yarn that I dyed myself and I think they turned out ok.  It really isn't the greatest thing to use multi-color yarn when knitting lace but, I don't care!  They're my socks so no biggie.

I've been playing with fiber this week too.  The Jacob is so very fine and such pretty colors.

and the Corriedale is going to be a big boxey sweater for me and some nice warm socks for The Saint someday...I love the color.
I did a test spin after combing a bit with my cheapo dog brush (I don't recommend the dog brush method, it is very frustrating as the bristles in a dog brush are not near strong enough to hold up to this kind of wool)
The test spin shows how beautiful they both are though...
I got exciting news from my Dad yesterday...my new-to-me Ashford Traditional is resting nicely at his house in Florida after a 1 1/2 hr journey from her former home.  Dad ever so nicely agreed to Pony Express her to me.  It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.  I've been wanting a Traditional to ply with...bigger wheel, less treadling.  After test driving Paula's Kromski Polonaise the other night I am so glad I'm getting the Traddy.
After a slightly sketchy start I was spinning some awesome lace weight yarn on her Polly.  I am envious!

I'll be spending a few hours studying videos of how to properly card wool.  I'm sure there's a technique that I'll have to master.  What do you suppose folks did 1000 years ago when they didn't have all these teaching tools available to them?  I must confess, sometimes I just make up my own way of doing things...shhhhh.

We had a Yarny Party at Heather's house and as always it was way too much fun.
we played with her new drum carder and had yummy snacks.  Hope you have a nice bunch of knitting/spinning peeps too!  Thanks so much for visiting my blog this week.  It's always nice to see you.

14 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

The socks are sassy and the wool is amazing! I'm so glad that you have a great fiber group of friends up in GR. I wish I had a spinning group here but my attempts have failed.

I may have a used drum carder you could purchase. It is perfect for wool but not Alpaca...

Dutch Hollow said...

Great color on the socks! Love all the new fiber you're working with.

Leah said...

I love the socks :) I might have to get the revised pattern for them. Love the collage pics, that batt is spinning wonderfully, I need to find some time to finish it.

Kathryn Ray said...

I suspect those people had moms, dads and village elders to teach them how to card and spin. ;-)

I love the spun up wool.

... and it's crazy to me that you redesigned a sock pattern. I feel my first socks are coming, just a few things to complete first. ;-)

Channon said...

Love the socks! Your FAF always reminds me of my intent to spin some every Friday evening.

Nichole said...

Love those socks!

Voie de Vie said...

Love the green!!!! And don't worry - I make some things up as I go, too. I have my very own method of lining bags. While I'm certain the sewing-nistas out there would cringe, it's worked just fine for me, so I'm sticking with it. :)

Spinning Jacob has been on a few brains this week. I must admit, the natural color of the fleece is amazing.

Happy fiber arts Friday!

Vivian said...

Your socks came out very nicely. You should put finished pictures on Ravelry so people can heart it!

fiberdance said...

love the socks! Don't you just love to play with wool? I have a bunch of Jacob to card and I just love it-

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I like multi-colored yarn for socks, regardless of pattern :)
The wool is looking beautiful - I've never spun enough to make a whole sweater from! (it pretty much always ends up as a hat)

Heather Woollove said...

The socks are wonderful!! Who cares what the 'haters' say about multi-colored yarn?!? :)
Your new yarn is going to be GORGEOUS!! I especially love the warm, rich brown one! XXO-

Paula said...

I love your blog. And great pictures

Nerdy Knitter said...

collage galore :) Love it looks like knitting adventures have been fun for you :)

Dawn said...

I love the socks! You did a great job reworking the pattern. And the batt you all carded is just beautiful! I can't wait to see how it spins up.

I really need to get back to my spinning. I have a couple of projects to finish up for the end of this week. Maybe I can use spinning as my reward. :)