Friday, June 3, 2011

A spinning wheel dilemma

I made a giant batt of Jacob fleece last weekend with Paula's large drum carder.  It was quite the learning experience but we got it figured out and made this...(click on photos to biggie-size them)

We don't mess around!  That thing is 18" wide.  It'll take me a while to spin that up!

It was such a beautiful day on Memorial Day and Grama's Irises were in full bloom.
 
This week I'm taking what my daughter calls a "two footer" for a test drive.  LOL  Thanks Paula!  I love this LadyBug.

She makes pretty nice yarn.  This is that entire giant batt shown above.
I've heard a rumor that my Ashford Traditional is making it's way from Orlando to Benton Harbor.  Here's a picture of her hangin out at my Dad's home in sunny Florida.
I might have to make a hard decision about these wheels someday soon...in the meantime I'll be spinning fiber and hanging out with my GR Yarny peeps.  Fit some fiber arts into your life, you'll be glad you did.  Anybody want to buy some vintage sewing machines?  LOL

Don't forget to visit Andrea's blog and check out the very creative talents of Fiber Arts Friday.

20 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, is your Traditional walking from Florida? tehehe

The jacob fleece looks delicious! I am bummed that they sold all of their fleeces before I could get one. Argh!

Melissa Plank said...

That's a yummy looking batt, happy fiber arts Friday!

Dutch Hollow said...

Wow that's a lot of fiber! Sure does look fluffy though and calls out to spinning wheels.

Melissa said...

Oh, your batt looks wonderfully soft. I love your daughers comment about "two footers". Our grandson is calling a screwdriver a "goose diaper".

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!!!

AllyB said...

I'm not sure what the deal is this morning but Blogger won't let me comment on anyone's blog. Please know that I'm not being anti-social, the technology, it fails me this morning. Have a great Fiber Arts Friday!

Heather Woollove said...

Beautiful batts! Looking forward to seeing the yarn that comes from it!

Cris said...

That is a BIG bat of lovely fleece! It will take you a while to get through that!

Channon said...

The Ladybug is a cute wheel! It was next on my list to try (again) when I fell in love with my Aura.

Nerdy Knitter said...

Just call em like I see em lol. I still think two footer sounds pretty dang funny :) Nice batt and it made some nice yarn too!!!

Kathryn Ray said...

Clear your cookies... Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete > ensure Cookies are checked > Delete

log out

Close your browser

Reopen your browser

Login but make sure "keep me logged in" is unchecked

This should help for now. Google is still working on the issue, the latest info is on this discussion board:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?hl=en&tid=4bd36d5355dbcf8c&start=840

Kathryn Ray said...

BTW - I have serious envy over that Jacob Batt and I like hearing about the wheel's travel adventure. I hope she brings pictures. ;-)

Vivian said...

I love the pictures of your wheels even tho I'm not a spinner. A friend of mine collects vintage knitting machines, not sure about sewing ;-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Voie de Vie said...

Ally, you might not be the only one having problems posting comments ... but no matter, we know you ain't the anti-social type. :)

I don't spin, but clearly Jacobs fiber is highly sought-after. Yours looks very yummy! And you can keep your vintage sewing machines, thankyouverymuch. :)

Nichole said...

Beautiful fleece!!!!!!!

Grace said...

thanks for stopping by and commenting on my new tattoo I LOVE IT!!!

Have a fantastic weekend

Spinster Beth said...

I have spun with Jacob once; it was pre-carded, and just a sample size, but I wrote in my spinning notebook that I loved it! I hope you love yours as much:-) it's a lovely big batt!

Kathryn Ray said...

I'm glad the tips helped. It's supposed to be a temporary solution until they get it fixed properly. :-)

Cheri said...

Hi Ally, thanks for visiting and commenting on my 3D floral granny square. The colors are actually Hot pink and lavender but I just can't seem to get my photo editing to "show" hot pink.....it does look red on most monitors. lol

Marushka C. said...

Excellent batt! I'm a little envious of the Ladybug wheel - it looks like fun.

sarah in the woods said...

That is a big batt! I love the yarns in your header.