Sunday, March 23, 2008

I've been swatching

I spent several hours at City Knitting Saturday swatching yarn for the crochet dress I want to make. I'm thinking about this blue...

And see that crochet hook? I am truly in love with it. It's an Addi Turbo, my first Addi crochet hook. The link is purely for illustration I got mine at City Knitting for $6.50 which seemed quite reasonable. It's an amazing tool! If you crochet, you have to try one. I'll be getting more ;-)

I'm not sure that I'm crazy about the blue yarn after giving it a few looks. I think it's gonna be like the peach yarn I used for the tank top I crocheted - then sold to a co-worker because I was tired of looking at it. I'm thinking I like the shine and texture of the cream Microspun better. If you look at the top of the following picture you'll see the swatch I made with the cream Microspun. It's shiny and very soft. The Gedifra yarn, while woven and not splitty like the Microspun is heavier and has no shine.


Here's a side by side comparison...please ignore the guage! I did the Microspun on a "G" and the Gedifra on an "E".

Any and all opinions would be appreciated. Thank you


Killer Biller, completed 3/23/08. Scout's Swag, Kill Bill colorway, size 1 circs, Cat Bordhi's Simple Sock. One is ever-so-slightly shorter than the other but I'm trying to stretch it to match, lol.

I actually like this pose better...

so now it's on to Charlene Schurch's Ribbed Lace socks with that luscious eggplant color yarn I showed you a few days back. Hope I'm up for the challenge.


Hey, everybody, there's a really cute swap you can sign up for here . It's gonna be fun! Go sign up by March 27th! Maybe I'll get to make you a wee tiny sock!

Thank you for stopping by and have a great week!

edited to correct link and info for Ribbed Lace sock

9 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

I've always wanted to try that kind of crochet hook, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The regular ones always make my hands hurt. Granted, it could be I'm holding the hook incorrectly. LOL

Personally, I like the cream colored yarn better. You're right, it just has a nice sheen to it. :-) And the socks came out great. The striping in the colorway turned out amazing!

Christie said...

I like the ivory in color...but I'm not a fan of the Microspun. I used it once and it seemed to get a little funky to me...but that's just me.

Linda said...

Fiber content is the thing that might decide me. Plastic yarn = sweaty. Ick!! Although some of them work ok.

Grace Yaskovic said...

I like both colors, but I think if it were me I would go blue, I just never wear white, the socks are awesome too and I was sorry to see you got even more snow!!!!

JessaLu said...

I like the blue... :o)

Nichole said...

LOVE the kill bill socks!
I like both colors... but since I'm clumsy and accident prone, if it were for me, I'd skip the white.... but that's just me, lol

Purl said...

I'm a blue person, too. It's my favorite color, and like Nichole, I'm accident prone.

Love the socks! And I might have to join the little swap. I've been burned out on swapping lately, but this is low key and such a cute idea!

wildflower38 said...

I like the creamy Microspun. I've never used Microspun. I cannot wear white. I'm too accident prone.

I love the kill bill socks.

Birdsong said...

I couldn't wear that color of blue myself, but if you can, I think you should go for it, as it will be even more an original than in cream. I would be looking for something cool and breathable, with cotton and silk together (Cascade just came out with Venezia or maybe their Pima Tencel). The socks are really knockouts... had to pull on shades:) I am so amazed by the people dyeing yarns these days!!