Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day...the dress, she's done!

I present to you a nice bouquet of Oregano for this special day, this beauty survived the winter in my herb garden. Too bad we don't have scratch-n-sniff blogs, lol.


Yes, folks, my version of "June" is finished.

Weighing in at a smidge under 2 lbs she's a bit hefty.


I love the lace
however, I'm not crazy about the bodice, I should have made it smaller so it would have negative ease and give the model more definition...

ok, ok, I won't make you wait any longer...please ignore the not so dazzling model, it's the dress you came to see after all, isn't it? lol

Oh, to be skinny and 16 again...

I plan to make a variety of "under-skirts" for her. I'll sew some buttons around the inside of the bottom edge of the bodice to attach said under-skirts, use the dress as a pattern for the skirts and make them just longer than the dress. Sounds pretty fashionable don't you think? Thanks go to Kim at City Knitting for her part in the brain-storming about how to do the lining.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and enthusiasm during her creation. It's been your curiosity that has kept me hooking on her when I was so sick of that cream color cotton/acrylic yarn. Knowing the yarn, Emu Cottons On DK, was manufactured in the 70's made it the perfect yarn for the job, as this dress reminds me of something I would have worn in high school had I the skills or attention span at that time to make such a thing.

I started on March 8th and finished yesterday which was May 10th. Not bad, I don't think.

Now, on to some socks and the beginning of my Great American Aran Afghan. One of my Ravelry friends, Rowan aka RowanoftheMist has extended an invitation to join him in a KAL group focused on creating of this beautiful afghan and I've decided to give it a go. We figure it could take a couple of years to complete...

I must go knit for a couple hours now before I take my Mom out to dinner.

Life is tough at Chez B.

Thanks for stoppin in, have a great week!

7 comments:

Rena said...

Love the dress happy mothers day dinner was great sorry i was so sleepy.

Alana - Knit Wit said...

Your dress turned out fantastic! That's a good idea to do the different linings, too.

Bubblesknits said...

It's beautiful! Perfect for summer! :-)

clarabelle said...

Wow, I take my hat off to you! It's a great dress (and I love how the skirt flares out), and so apt to have knitted it from some 70s yarn.

C Meir said...

Really nice job!

Nichole said...

Its beautious!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it with the underskirts too -great thought!
Hope you had a great Mom's Day!

Rachel said...

What an amazing dress...it turned out so great! And I'm amazed at how quickly you got that done. Incredible!