Thursday, May 15, 2008

Knitting Hands

While trying to think of an interesting topic for the blog today...



I remembered having taken pictures of several knitters at the most recent Late Night Yarny party at my fav knitting spot.









So here are a few pair of hands, in no particular order and with a spinner thrown in, doing what we do, when we're inclined to ply our craft.


Bet you'll recognize the last pair of hands, which are crocheting instead of knitting, lol



The appeal of these pictures for me is how different each person's hands are from the next.






I find hands fascinating. They say so much about the person they are attached to.




Mine look just like my Mother's and her Mother's and her Mother's before her. At almost 52 I am seeing my fingers begin to twist and bend just like theirs have. Perhaps I should buy stock in an ibuprofen manufacturing business.

I find it sad, in a way, that I have never seen any of the women who came before me in my maternal line do such things as knit or crochet, or even sew a dress or kercheif.

I must thank my paternal Grandmother for my crafty ways, and she wasn't even blood-kin...she became my Dad's step-mother when he was 5. Thankfully it made no difference in her relationship with me. I could do no wrong in her eyes. Everyone should be blessed with such a Grama.

Hope these pictures will inspire you our give you a good thought or two. If so, my mission is accomplished and I'll be on my way now.

Thanks everyone for stopping in and saying hey! Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Grace Yaskovic said...

great pictures Ally, love looking at everyone working so hard!

clarabelle said...

Great thoughtful post and brilliant photos. Funnily enough, a few people recently have asked me how I knit - do I 'throw', knit continental, etc - and I was stumped! I mean, I have no idea! Need to check it out...

Your Grama sounds like my own beloved Gran (I also could do no wrong!).

Cass said...

Oh NICE pics! What a lovely post.
XOXO

Nichole said...

Great post... pics would make a lovely calendar!

Bubblesknits said...

Those are great pictures. I love watching people knit. :-)

Anonymous said...

just your 9-5 swap pal checking in to say hello Boy do I have suprises planned for you!!!

JessaLu said...

Very nice pictures! Your post made me take a look at my own hands - I appear to have my maternal grandmother and mother's hands and my paternal grandmother's wrists. ;o)

Grace Yaskovic said...

stop by my blog and vote for your favorite shawl one lucky winner gets yarn, there are several ties at the moment so give me your input too!!