Monday, May 26, 2008

It's great to be back home, part 1.


Hello everybodee! We're back home from our mini-vacation to Traverse City, a bit tired but refreshed from our days away. It was cold up north, typical Memorial Day weekend type of weather. We saw some intrepid souls camping at the state park. Not us! We stayed in a cute little motel where there was a mini-fridge, cable tv and heat! It was in the 30s in the mornings and not much past 60 in the afternoon. Being right on Grand Traverse Bay there was a constant wind blowing and coming across that 40 degree water - it was chilly.

There were some folks out sailing but there were not many power-boats in the water. We saw two large scooners, I managed to get a couple shots of this one with black sails...sort of looks like a pirate ship doesn't it?









We stopped at several yarn shops and I collected a few choice yarns. On Thursday it was Lost Art Yarn downtown, where we had a really nice visit with Gertrude and picked up a couple of interesting skeins of sock yarn - after making the foolish statement that I was trying to knit through my sock yarn stash this summer. I guess my yarn management policy is more like knit one, stash two, hahaha.

Here's the almost finished sock from one of the two skeins...

it's Opal Mississippi, super-fun Mardi Gras colors. The other skein I picked up is Lang Aktion and it came with a tiny little skein of reinforcing yarn to match.


I found a beautiful red Shi Bui for an Irish Hiking Scarf for myself and some hand painted Schaefer Anne yarn to make a stole I saw a model of at Thistledown Shoppe in Suttons Bay. The stole is called Scotch Thistle Lace and was very pretty. I managed to pick up a couple of cute gifty things for my secret swap partner too...

We got to meet Kathy, the proprietor, and she was oh so nice and friendly. Her shop is small but mighty! She has packed some fabulous things in that space and I enjoyed my leisurely browse while The Saint chatted with Kathy from a comfy chair. Although he was disappointed that there was no Sports Illustrated, LOL.

No trip to Traverse City would be complete without a visit to Yarn Quest and I managed to find a pair of skeins of Interlacements "Tiny Toes" in the Carbon Dioxide colorway that will make a lovely pair of socks (they're pictured lower left in the above photo).

So I have to go wash my dishes and enjoy the sunshine and spend some time with The Saint and I'll be back later with the rest of the story...and I know you're ready for a break too, aren't you? mwa-ha-ha-ha!

7 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

What a haul!!! I love the colors you bought, too! :-) Glad you had a good trip.

Kathy said...

Ally, You are too kind and thank you. We love our shoppe and were glad you could stop by. Now remember to tell James to bring his Sport's Illustrated magazine next time and you bring your yarny project and we will all sit and work away! Kathy

wildflower38 said...

I'm glad you had fun and some rest on your trip. Shi Bui yarn is sooo soft. You'll lovve working with it. I have some in my meager stash. I love love love Jackie E-S' patterns. She teaches an online shawl workshop I've wanted to take. Let me know how you like the Interlacements. One more thing.... I've narrowed it down at a couple people who could be my Multitask spoiler. You're one of them lol

Cass said...

Welcome home!
XOXOX

JessaLu said...

Wow! That's some nice stuff! :o) Welcome home!

Grace Yaskovic said...

Love that red yarn for the Irish Hiking Scarf, I have some left over Debbie Bliss in red like that I think maybe thats what it will become.

All of your haul is fantastic and I am so glad you had a good time on your trip away

Darcy knotty Knitter said...

I love that schaeffer Anne yarn yummy sounds like you had fun:)Hugs Darcy