Sunday, November 15, 2009

life must be good


It's the only conclusion I can come to when the worst news I've heard in a long time is that my LYS is going to close at the end of the year.

For me, it's not so much the loss of an awesome, close to home resource for all things knitting (a knitter/crocheter can get those things delivered to their mailbox any day of the week)...it's more the loss of a community I've come to regard as family. You just can't find this group of folks hanging out together anywhere else in town. The cultural and educational diversity that I've found in the gathering space at City Knitting is beyond imagination. I've made many friends in the past 3 yrs that I never would have encountered in my daily life if not for that particular gathering space.

Looking back now, I realize that I took several classes for their social value rather than the knowledge of technique they imparted. It's always been about the community for me. You can buy yarn anywhere, it's much more difficult to find new friends while living a busy life.

I imagine I'll might have a cleaner house and maybe spend more time actually knitting but those things pale in comparison to hanging out with the gang at City Knitting. There will be a big empty place in my heart.

I wish Lorilee well in her future endeavors and I know her family will appreciate having her around home more. The rigors of owning your own business are many.

My mind will be set to the task of finding a suitable place to gather after the doors close for the last time. There are those of us that need the community to maintain good mental health (especially me) and with a bit of effort we may be able to keep it together.

For now though I'll be sad at the loss - cause I'm selfish that way!

6 comments:

Nerdy Knitter said...

:( me sad, i am sure i will just have to get over it

KnittingReader said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I don't have a good relationship with my closest LYS--their customer service is terrible. But I have a monthly knitting group that I would hate to lose.

Grace said...

sorry to hear about this, will she have a sale before she closes so you can add to your stash???

Bubblesknits said...

I felt the same way when the closest one to my house closed. :-(

Nichole said...

So sad... and you're right, you can buy yarn anywhere, but you can't get the community sense everywhere.

I miss not really having a knitting group... but made the right decision to leave the one I did. Of course there's another wonderful group close by, I just need to get my butt there....

Sounds like you might have to start a post-City Knitting group that could meet at a book store or cafe or library or someplace??

carlita dee said...

Oh no! Really sad. I know exactly what you mean about community. I'm gradually finding one here in Houston. Maybe you and some of the other folks who met at the store can do monthly meetings at one another's homes?