Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Fiber Fun Day

We made the trip to the Michigan Fiber Festival in Allegan. It was a beautiful day, but hot as hell. The vendor buildings were crowded as expected but there were not as many folks hanging outside as I've seen in years past. I'm sure the hot sun at high noon was the main reason for that.


Val, Christine, Kim and I walked around the fairgrounds and felt a lot of yarn.

We saw lots of folks wearing City Knitting shirts, and it was interesting to me that most of them were folks I did not recognize. Those shirts are definitely eye catchers...


A couple of things I realized in the course of the day, one is that I love the brightly colored yarn as opposed to the muted shades, another is that these curly haired sheep appeal to me,

and I love the little horns on the sheep...


I packed a picnic lunch of hummus & tabouli sandwiches, grapes, melon and rice krispie treats that we enjoyed on a blanket in a partially shady spot we found. It was yummy and a nice break from the walking around. The Allegan Co Fair Grounds is such a nice spot for an event, they've done a great job of making it park like and pretty with flowers and shrubbery and I always love the "chicken gate". I'm sad that I didn't think to take a picture of that big ol chicken.

I had intentions of making it a photo heavy trip and somehow I just got into the yarn and talking with Kim and enjoying the animals so the camera, once again, became an afterthought. Hopefully there are enough photos for you to get an idea of what a good time we had. And did I mention that I had some yarn sneak into my bag today? hehehe

Claudia's Handpainted in Watermelon, Yarn Hollow in Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Fleece Artist in Tulip. I also picked up a pattern from Briar Rose Fibers for the Summer Wave Tank.

It was a great day doing something with fiber that didn't give me an arm ache. I did get the heel turned last night on the Spring Forward socks and it felt so good to be working those little needles again...now this morning, that dreaded ache was back but I'm pushin on through it. Guess I'll just have to see the masseuse a few weeks in a row to get it fixed, darn!

Thank you all so much for expressing your concern for my arm pain. I'm sure if I would just STOP KNITTING it would get better. I just can't do it. I've tried distracting myself with the quilting and the reading and nothing compares, nothing...

6 comments:

Christine said...

I had a great time. Thank you for driving and the yummy food! Love your yarn choices and can't wait to see what they turn out to be.

KnittingReader said...

What a wonderful day! I'd love to get to a fiber festival. The sneaky yarns are so beautiful.

Mujercita said...

I'm jealous- it sounds like you had such a great time!

Channon said...

Oh, I thought you did share lots of photos! I never remember to take pictures, even though I always remember a camera. I'd much rather talk, eat, touch yarn (not in that order necessarily...).

Bubblesknits said...

Ooooh! I'm with you...that curly, gray sheep needs to come live in my back yard. :-) Looks like y'all had a fabulous time!

Nichole said...

GREAT pics... what a great day too! Sure looks like you guys had a blast! LOVE your yarn haul too!