Wednesday, October 10, 2007

FIADS - Topic of the Week

Either flash your needles and other items you use to make your wares or, if you don't have a camera, describe your goods for us in detail. Dpns, circs, straights, hooks, tape measures, darning needles, favorite stitch markers, needle holders, cases, the works!



Every knitter needs lots of marking tools so here's my carry-around pack of misc marking tools.

My favs right now are those pink, blue and white markers in the lower left corner of the picture. They're not complete circles, they have an opening in them so you can slip them on that all too important middle stitch when you're working on your EZ Surprise Jacket. lol


Being the OCD type, even in knitting, I try to keep all my needles in this black leather basket. That way I can go there and find whatever I need in a hurry, you know, for those knitting emergencies...hee.

I made those nifty needle holders on the lower left when I first started knitting last year (when my quilting mojo was still my friend) and then made the felted needle roll that you see in the lower right corner of the basket with yarn leftover from my first felted purse.

My most favorite of all my needles is the KnitPicks Options and they split their time between the super handy binder from KnitPicks and my carry around bag.

And this polka-dot beauty is my handy-dandy $12 knitting bag I found at a little shop in Petoskey. Perfect size for a project or 3 plus lunch and snacks when I go to work.





And I must mention my vintage needle stash. These are all needles purchased on eBay in an effort to make up for the fact that I didn't get any of my Grama's needles when she left this world. I found a nice bunch of needles that look like they could have been hers...I just pretend and that's ok with me. They surely belonged to someone's Grama, don't you think? I like how they look in the vases, like flowers...that never die, lol.

So there's my tools...let's see yours.

5 comments:

Rena said...

Ha ha flowers that never die. I like that perhaps I need to get that for my house I can't even keep bamboo alive!!! I have a needle holder that looks amazingly just like the ones you made. Thanks for making me one!!! Nice stash!!!!!

clarabelle said...

I wouldn't like you to see the tools of my knitting trade, AllyB, as you would recoil in horror! Much of it dates back to the 1970s and is in a poor state of health (eg bent knitting needles, some of them with BluTack on the ends to stop the stitches falling off). Your sooperdooper collection of needles, etc makes me hang my head in shame....

Purl said...

Great tools! Like Clarabelle, I must hang my head in shame at the state of mine.

I love those stitch markers, too. They're also great if you find a dropped stitch.

Nichole said...

zeusLove your "grandmas" needles! I have a bunch that my Mom gave to me when I decided I want to knit again... all kinds of "old" needles that I assume she had used... I was going ot donate them now that I love bamboo & "new" needles, but I think now I need to display them.

Anonymous said...

That is a great needle collection!

Your Swap Pal