Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Saint...from U.N.C.L.E.

Anybody remember The Saint or The Man from U.N.C.L.E.? I know my daughter won't, lol. She didn't even know what Laugh-In was. The other night when we were in a local department store I mentioned that a dress we saw looked like something Goldie Hawn would have worn on Laugh-In. Rena's response; "What's Laugh-In?", geez sometimes I feel so old. I still bought the bell-bottom jeans though...I don't care if I am 51 years old, I can still wear me some bell-bottoms...can't I? Ahhh, I'm getting off the track here...what I wanted to start with this evening was this...

My heart swelled a bit today while The Saint and I were enjoying our rotisserie chicken dinner (that he cooked). An ad came on the television for an attorney with Robert Vaughn on it. The ad prompted him to tell me how, when he was younger, he had the whole Man from Uncle kit. It was one of those fleeting moments when I get a glimpse of the child that is still inside him. The smile on his face as he told me that tidbit was priceless.

It got me thinking about the whole "belonging to the club" thing. Look at Ravelry for example. We all want to be part of the club and there are lots of cool gadgets to own as part of the club. And it is so much fun to have all my new friends gathered in one place even though they are really all over the world.

The only club I belonged to when I was young was Campfire Girls. Wow, has that organization changed! Now it is Campfire USA and they let boys in! I always thought that blue skirt and vest were way cool. You earned these super fabulous wooden beads of different colors for doing good deeds and learning new skills. We would sew the beads on our vests in really cool shapes like flowers and things, well it was the 60s after all, it was all about the flowers back then, LOL.

Thanks to my Grama I have this old photo of my Dad and I ready for a Father/Daughter Dinner. Isn't that a great uniform? I especially love the way my Mom did my hair for the occassion, ROFL. And, OMG those shoes! I still shudder when I think about those shoes (two-toned brown and gold suede)... As you can see we had the latest in stereo equipment, *snort*. This would have been about 1965 I think, 3rd or 4th Grade.

Enough jocularity, let's knit...

A couple of weeks ago I read on Roxie's blog, that I got to from someone else's blog and I'm sorry I can't remember who's, was having a contest and she was looking for pictures of people's hands while they were knitting. Here were my offerings to the collection. I love this picture of The Saint's truck-driver hands "knitting" on my Ballband Dishcloth.


and mine knitting Winston's BSJ...

do you have any idea how difficult it is to take a picture of your own hands knitting when no one else is around? I had to put the camera on a stack of books, hold my knitting up in front of the camera and push the shutter button on top of the camera with my tongue, gah. I think it turned out pretty good for a tongue taken pic.

Hey, Cass, JenW posted her pattern for the Rippled Fingerless Mitts. And her picture turned out way better than mine! You should jump over there and get it.

KIP: EZ Adult Surprise Jacket A few rows done and a few hundred to go. I'm likin' it already.









Now if I could just get this burning sensation to go away in my elbow and shoulder :-)


Thanks everybodee for stoppin in. And I really do appreciate all your kind comments. See you all on Ravelry this week. I'll be working hard trying to get my stash posted...

6 comments:

Grace Yaskovic said...

cool photos of hands knitting, My pain is in my left forearm, its making knitting hard and I have so much of it to do, keep careful notes of the Ez baby suprise I have the pattern want to do it someday but it intimateds me!!! Have a good one Ally

JenW!~ said...

I actually can not take credit for the pics. Those were sent to me by a another knitter. But you did a great job on your too.

Birdsong said...

I remember! We are almost the same age. I loved the rest of this post, especially the hands.

Alana - Knit Wit said...

Wow... what a trip down memory lane. I was a Campfire Girl, too. Had me an outfit every bit as cute as yours, 'cept your shoes were better!!

And ya, I remember The Man From Uncle, and Laugh-In!! My-Oh-My!

Janice said...

Ok, it made me laugh imagining what you were going through trying to take the picture of your hands knitting! I can relate! I keep thinking someone is going to put me away when they see me taking pictures for my blog. (You know, holding up a knit sock in front of the Mona Lisa etc..) Loved the picture of you as a Campfire Girl! Too funny!!

JessaLu said...

OMG too funny! I tried several different ways of taking pictures of myself until it dawned on me that my camera has a timer - DOH! ;o)